The MetroWest Medical Center is the largest healthcare system between Worcester and Boston and is committed to meeting the health care needs of the MetroWest region by providing advanced care with a community touch. The 319-bed regional health care system includes Framingham Union Hospital , Leonard Morse Hospital in Natick and the MetroWest Wellness Center .
Medical Technologist (per diem)
Under general supervision and according to established policies and procedures, collects, processes, and tests specimens, maintains and troubleshoots equipment, and performs quality control testing and documentation for patients of all ages.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Technical: Receives and prepares specimens for testing, such as centrifuging blood and preparing slides and smears. Performs a variety of tests on blood, urine, and stool samples to determine their chemical composition using a wide variety of automated and semi-automated equipment. Performs Blood Bank tests. Evaluates abnormal results. Prepares specimens for send-out.
2. Communication: Anwers telephone inquiries professionally and courteously. Refers specimens to appropriate reference labs. Notifies physician or nursing unit of any critical value or unusual result. Communicates all Blood Bank problem patients to Blood Bank techs or the Medical Director.
3. QC/QI: Maintains and cleans equipment; replaces malfunctioning parts; troubleshoots instrumentation problems and performs repairs. Performs QC testing according to schedule. Performs CAP surveys on rotation. Checks reports and resolves any outstanding work or specimens. Adheres to safety regulations and attends safety seminars.
4. Documentation: Records all test results on the computer system, ensuring that patient identification, test names, and results are accurately recorded. Documents errors from RP. Documents all QC and completes corrective action forms. Completes appropriate QA forms recording all errors, issues and concerns, patient or physician complaints, and any other issues affecting patient care.
5. Special Assignments: Evaluates new procedures. Trains new employees. In the absence of the supervisor, schedules and coordinates the daily activities of the lab. Orders supplies as needed. Updates computer as instructed. Attends meetings and participates in lab project assignments.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, AND OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
1. The level of knowledge equivalent to that ordinarily acquired through completion of a Bachelor's Degree in medical technology. (MT)ASCP or (MLT)ASCP registration required.
2. Six to twelve months of experience in a clinical laboratory setting. Blood Bank experience required.
MetroWest Medical Center offers a competitive rate of pay and some benefits for per diem posit
ions , including a 401(k) Plan with company match and free parking.
Please visit our website for additional information at www.mwmc.com . We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value diversity in our workplace.
MetroWest Medical Center - 9 months ago