Formal Education / Training:
• Licensed Medical Technologist by the State of Tennessee.
• BS degree in Medical Technology preferred.
• Laboratory experience preferred
• Meditech experience preferred
Equipment and Skills Training:
Strong computer skills, detail-oriented, ability to multi-task. Good customer service skills are required.
May be exposed to infectious and contagious diseases. Universal precautions practiced in a safe, well-equipped, well-lit, environmentally controlled area.
1. Able to communicate in English verbally and legibly.
2. Ability to perform multi-functional tasks.
3. Manual dexterity and mobility in both hands.
4. Frequent reaching, bending, kneeling, and crouching.
5. Ability to read computer screen, hear phone and conduct interpersonal communications
6. Ability to learn, reason and perform mathematical calculations related to job.
7. Ability to use critical thinking skills.
8. Occasionally removes or replaces supplies or equipment weighing up to 25 lbs.
1. Shows teamwork in difficult situations and makes appropriate decisions. Shows an awareness of the lab as a whole and not just area of work.
2. Follows Laboratory HR policies regarding:
• Cell phone / electronic device usage
• Dress Code
• Computer access policies
• PTO time and attendance
3. Works well with Section Head and Director
• Communicates potential issues in a timely manner
• Follows through on work assignments
• Keeps confidentiality
• Communicates opportunities for improvement in a positive way
4. Works efficiently
• Makes good use of time
• Follows outlined workflow in area
• Results reported within acceptable turn around time.
5. Follows all safety regulations
• Wears appropriate PPE for task
• Disposes of hazardous materials properly
6. Has a clear understanding of the parameters of responsibility, quality and laboratory regulations
7. Motivated – takes initiative for work that needs to be done
• Helps section head with instrument correlations/quality control range establishment
• Performs maintenance without being asked
• Follows through with incomplete report and documents on lead tech board without reminder
8. Good financial steward
• Does not waste
• Looks for ways to save money
• Does not have overtime unless approved
9. Is committed to Co-workers
• Team player
• Respectful of co-workers
• Does not gossip or talk behind other’s back
• Helps in other areas when work is done
• Reports to work area without delay
• Follows departmental policies regarding break and lunch time
• Rarely calls in; Is on time for work
• Does fair share of fill-in if necessary
10. Completes assignments on time
• Competencies completed on or before due date and without reminder
• TB skin test/Flu vaccination obtained before due date and without reminder
• Regularly checks HealthStream for assignments
• Completes things that require action in a timely manner and without reminder (required in-services, computer assignments, etc)
11. Keeps up to date in area of responsibility
• Maintains Continuing Education hours
• Participates in available webinars
12. Participates in departmental meetings and process improvement teams (laboratory or hospital, if applicable).
• Attends scheduled meetings without reminder
• Is on time for meetings
• Prepares for meetings
• Active participant
13. Uses critical thinking skills when reviewing and resulting laboratory values or troubleshooting equipments or QC issues
14. Produces acceptable work
• Using positive patient identification
• Follows through on all departmental duties
• Assures QC is within appropriate guidelines before reporting results
• Follows laboratory procedures and policies
15. Provides effective communication
• Communicates problems/issues/concerns to lead tech
• Communicates problems/issues/concerns at shift change to co-worker
• Communicates testing delays to appropriate personnel
• Reads e-mail and communication logs during each work day.