Under the supervision of the Director of Pharmacy, the Medication Safety Coordinator ensures the safety and integrity of all medications dispensed by or under the authority of pharmacy or medication management for Capital Regional Medical Center. Identify, resolve, and prevent misuse of medications including their diversion, works with the Director and Pharmacy Manager to supervise essential functions of the department, effectively contributes to the evaluation and professional counsel of pharmacy personnel as it relates to the functions of this position description and functions effectively as a Clinical Staff Pharmacist.
1. Assures that unit inspections and expired medication checks are performed monthly, inventory is rotated and expired medications are removed by pharmacy personnel.
2. Assures an accurate biannual controlled drug inventory is performed and documented according to DEA requirements
3. Assures monthly controlled substance audits for pharmacy are completed and submitted to the Director of Pharmacy.
4. Reviews and follows-up on discrepancies and overrides, particularly as it pertains to controlled substances.
5. Oversees all necessary activities to monitor for diversion or misuse of medications.
6. Oversees universal pharmaceutical waste and hazardous pharmaceutical waste meets state and federal regulations.
7. Effectively supervises the IV room to assure compliance with USP 797
8. Participates in pharmacy quality program: checks all medication orders leaving pharmacy as evidenced by routine QA samples and media fill tests; performs assigned nursing station and crash cart inspections monthly; assists in data collection and interpretation for department QA monitoring.
9. Assures appropriate cleaning and operation of laminar air and flow hoods
10. Assures routine cleaning of IV rooms including surfaces following USP 797 and departmental policy-procedures
11. Demonstrates and reviews staff technique of sterile preparation of compounds, along with, appropriate garb use, hand hygiene and sharps and hazardous waste disposal
12. Consistently demonstrates appropriate knowledge and judgment to identify situations which may pose a risk of harm to patients and initiates corrective action as soon as needed.
13. Identifies and reports all opportunities for error reduction.
14. Accurately reports all patient care or medication errors, adverse events and near misses as soon as possible.
15. Consistently adheres to all patient safety and medication delivery policies and procedures.
16. Functions as a Clinical Staff Pharmacist as necessary or assigned
17. Attends in-service presentations and completes all mandatory education requirements.
18. Uses Performance Improvement Plan to improve patient safety.
19. Regular, Punctual and dependable attendance.
20. Other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED:
- Current License to practice Pharmacy in the State of Florida
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- One year experience as a hospital pharmacist is required, two years preferred
- Individuals must possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate the ability to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
HCA Inc - 2 years ago
Capital Regional Medical Center is a 242-bed acute care hospital in the beautiful Tallahassee and is a fully-accredited healthcare facility...