Our Mental Health Workers foster a positive and supportive environment for patients by assisting and working under the direction of the Registered Nurse. In this role, you will assist patients with Activities of Daily Living (ADL's) and behavioral coping skills, provide clinical intervention, and assist in maintaining safe and clean surroundings.
1. Performs a variety of duties directly related to patient care:
· Initiates and encourages interactions with patients through conversation, activities, and other means. Encourages a therapeutic relationship with patients.
· Helps patient get accustomed to the unit and hospital. Provides factual information regarding treatment program.
· Assists and guides patients with maintaining their personal hygiene and housekeeping activities.
· Assists and oversees patients at meal times.
· Escorts patients to appointments and scheduled activities outside of the unit - within and outside hospital.
· Assists during admissions, discharges and/or transfers of patients.
· Assists RN in carrying out treatment procedures including, but not limited to restraining patient, vital signs and other directed tasks.
· Responds to medical and psychiatric emergencies with direction from RN. Administers Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), when necessary.
· Observes patient, as directed.
· Assumes responsibility for whereabouts and safety of patients in and outside of the unit and/or grounds, as directed.
· Co-leads group therapy and leads patient education and activity groups, as required.
2. Performs various reporting and recording duties including, but not limited to:
3. Performs a variety of duties related to maintenance of physical environment including, but not limited to:
- Reporting observations of patients' behavior to RN and other team members.
- Maintaining observation flow sheets for patient requiring various levels of supervision, i.e. constant observation, routine rounds, every fifteen minute checks.
- Participating in nursing staff and team meetings by sharing observations and information.
Receiving and/or transmitting telephone messages concerning patient care in absence of Unit Receptionist.
Reporting observations of patients' interactions with visitors
- Reporting potential hazards to RN and taking necessary measures such as mopping wet areas, removing hazardous material or other remedial action in the event of an emergency.
- Transporting supplies such as laboratory specimens, food trays, drug baskets and other items to and from unit, as required.
- Collecting soiled linen and distributing fresh linen to patients unable to do so themselves.
- Maintaining general sanitary conditions on unit including washing the patient's refrigerator and stove when necessary.
· Minimum of two (2) years of college, required; with a concentration in pre-health science or psychology-related courses, preferred OR six (6) years related experience.
· Previous experience with patient intervention in psychiatric setting, preferred.
· Must be able to demonstrate CPR technique within orientation period.
· Ability to communicate effectively, required.
· Ability to lift, turn, position, and restrain patients, as required.
**P/T, 18.75 hrs, Must be available for F/T day training for 6 weeks**
Transforming care, optimizing patient satisfaction and creating better patient outcomes are just some of the things our talented team members are doing at North Shore-LIJ each and every day. As a culture committed to providing our customers with the highest quality service, we stand behind our core values: Patients first; Caring; Excellence; Innovation; Integrity and Teamwork. It is our commitment and our culture that sets us apart from others and is the cornerstone of everything we do. Join an organization whose team members are valued, cared for and offered continuous opportunities to grow. Click on the link to learn more about us: www.northshorelij.com/goals
Please note: North Shore-LIJ is a smoke-free environment. Smoking and the use of tobacco products is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises. Free smoking cessation programs and quit medications are offered to team members who wish to quit through the North Shore-LIJ Center for Tobacco Control.
North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System - 11 months ago
This hospital system has a scope that stretches long beyond Long Island. North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System (NS-LIJ) operates 16...