Job Class Title Meter Reader 1 Who May Apply Open – All interested Applicants Type Classified Pay Grade CL6 Minimum Annual Salary 25625.60 Maximum Annual Salary 38667.20 Nature of Work This is meter reader field and related clerical work that requires reading water meters and recording consumption using electronic meter reading devices for jurisdictions serviced by the county utility system. An employee in this class is responsible for accurately reading and recording customers' water consumption. The incumbent starts and terminates water service accounts. Incumbent operates and reads electronic devices requiring some data entry of codes, conditions, and comments. Ordinarily, employees follow designated routes, receiving specific work instructions, and referring unusual questions to a superior for decision. Work includes occasional public contact in such matters as replying to requests, receiving complaints, and making simple investigations and communication on assignments. Accuracy of meter reading is subject to check by comparison with past reading. An employee in this class may be promoted to the Meter Reader 2 class upon completion of the criteria outlined in the career ladder guidelines and the approval of the department director. The incumbent reports to a manager, supervisor or designee. Minimum Qualifications • 1 year of experience in public contact related work; or
Appointing Authority May Also Require: • Florida Driver's License or Florida Commercial Driver's License and endorsement, if any.
- 1 year of post high school technical or college level courses; or
- An equivalent combination of education, training, and/or experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities • Knowledge of the geography and street location of the county.
- Assignment to work a variety of work schedules including compulsory work periods in special, emergency, and/or disaster situations.
- Sufficient physical strength and agility to permit walking or driving all day under varying weather conditions.
- Other highly desirable knowledge, skills, abilities, and credentials relevant to a position. Work Performed • Operates hand-held electronic meter reading devices; inputs meter locations and reads instructions to update customer's file.
- Reads water meters on an assigned route and records readings on electronic meter reading devices, drives light automotive equipment and makes periodic stops for readings.
- Examines meter installations for leaks and improper registration of consumption; reports faulty or struck meters; inspects visible plumbing for water leakage.
- Prepares diagrams showing locations of meters in relation to building served.
- Identifies maintenance or equipment problems on customer accounts; performs minor field repairs on meters not requiring major overhaul or technical servicing.
- Performs related work as assigned or required.
Selection Procedure: All interested candidates must complete an application, a supplemental questionnaire and a written test. If your employment application and supplemental questionnaire does not provide all the information requested in the appropriate space, your name will be removed from consideration. Answers to all requests for information must be shown on the application and supplemental questionnaire. Answers such as "see resume" or "see work history" will not be considered. A resume may be added to the application, but cannot be substituted for a completed form.
- Ability to apply computer applications and software.
- Ability to maintain effective public relations.
- Ability to make simple arithmetical calculations rapidly and accurately.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the public.
- Ability to learn routine data entry functions.
- Ability to read maps.
Note: This recruitment requires you to take a written examination. Once you have completed the application process, you must call the Human Resources Department prior to 12:00 pm, December 12, 2012 to obtain the date and time of the examination. Failure to complete any requirement, as stated above, will remove you from further consideration. Please call 727-464-3367 to schedule a test date and time.
You can obtain detailed directions to our testing facility by clicking the following link:
Or on the "Main Employment Page" of our website.
Pinellas County, FL - 2 years ago