The duties of the Utility Meter Reader consist of those jobs necessary, but not limited to, reading and recording water usage from customer water meters. Meter reading work usually requires the use of computer equipment to complete daily meter reading routes.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
1. Accurately reads and records water meters for billing purposes with hand held meter reading devices on designated routes.
2. Checks meters and reports inoperable, damaged or missing meter boxes. Replaces inoperable meters. Performs minor renovations of meters and meter boxes and reports vandalism to supervisor and maintains records accordingly. Performs bench tests of meters at customer's requests.
3. May initiate work orders for water leaks and meter replacements.
4. Cleans meter boxes and surrounding areas.
5. Ensures the cleanliness and maintenance of any assigned vehicle, tools or equipment.
6. Maintains a safe working environment and reports safety violations to supervisor.
7. Serves on Emergency Call duty.
8. Continues to maintain and search for new methods of increasing productivity and quality in the most cost effective manner within their department.
9. Performs other duties or special projects as requested related to the area of responsibility.
10. Duties performed outdoors, with exposure to the elements, insect and animal bites, and potentially hazardous conditions.
11. Assists in service order completion as necessary.
High school graduate or GED equivalent and valid driver's license required.
Experience in the water works field preferred but not required. Basic mathematical skills to enable computation of past/present meter readings to determine customer usage; safe and practical use of simple equipment or hand tools, such as wrenches, shovel, etc.; stooping, kneeling, continuous walking and lifting of objects up to 50 lbs. is also required. Interpersonal skills are a must in dealing with other employees as well direct customer contact.
Aqua America, Inc. - 9 months ago
Aqua America helps keep water clean and people quenched. It is a holding company for regulated utilities that provide water distribution and...