"We will use our role as the area’s leading health insurer to provide affordable access to healthcare and to improve the health and wellness of our members."
Summary of Position:
Leads management teams developing high visibility and high impact enterprise strategies; identifying new business opportunities; and working with senior leadership to gain approval and buy-in for major initiatives.
Essential Accountabilities – Other duties may be assigned:
* Responsible for identifying new business strategy opportunities and working with executives across the company to develop major strategic initiatives (e.g., getting ready for health care reform). Manages and directs analysts to understand strategy options. Considers and understands organizational issues in executing strategies.
* Oversees and directs analysis of technological, market, financial, and competitive issues that affect profitability, and growth.
* Coordinates the development of special business initiatives (including research, resource identification, communications, and reporting, and other necessary steps), and with driving change throughout the organization.
* Oversees competitor and supplier market analysis. Leads the external competitive environment and market research to assess emerging macro/micro trends that could affect the company, and shares key trend information and insights regarding threats and opportunities. Participates in and helps drive internal efforts to consolidate the findings of environmental scanning activity.
* Oversees and helps design detailed, complex financial/quantitative models to contribute to hypothesis development and solution integration.
Principal Challenges – List the most typical and/or most complex problems or challenges faced in performing the job:
* Working across multiple functions and competing priorities. Being able to facilitate and encourage cooperation between divisions and across the organization.
* Understanding the competitive landscape, how it is shifting, and determining how best to compete and react to these changes
* Getting up to speed on the business in all its aspects and forms.
Supervisory Responsibilities (if applicable):
Manage strategy analysts and financial modeling resources
Qualifications – The following qualifications are representative of the basic knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform this job at a satisfactory level. Reasonable accommodations may need to be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
* Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
* Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and presentations for a senior executive audience.
* Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
* Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
* Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
* Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
* Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
Other (please specify)
* Ability to look at complex raw data and to create approaches and methods to use the data in driving to solutions.
* Strong ability to translate complex data into clear message points for organizational clients.
* Ability to effectively participate on and even lead (as necessary) project teams in areas of expertise.
Knowledge and Skills:
* Advanced level knowledge and skill in the use of Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office applications, especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
* Thorough knowledge of the industry and of how health insurance companies operate highly desirable (much of this knowledge can be acquired after hire).
* Extensive knowledge of quantitative/statistical/analytical tools.
* Extensive knowledge of business operations, forecasting, mergers and acquisitions, problem solving, financial analysis, and modeling.
* Strong relationship building skills
* Strong oral and written communications skills.
* Working knowledge of project management precepts and practices.
Education and Years of Experience:
Master’s degree (preferred) in business, economics, engineering, finance, or other relevant academic discipline, with 5-8 years of experience in strategic consulting, business analysis, or finance/strategy and, preferably in health insurance/health care. Prior experience in project management environments and as a member of project teams preferred; or any combination of education and experience providing the types and levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities required by the job.
Certification, Licenses, Registrations Required:
Physical Demands – The physical demands listed are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
An incumbent in this job occasionally stands and walks; but spends the majority of work time sitting; using hands to finger, handle, feel, or key data; and making use of the abilities to speak and hear. Required visual capacities include close and color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment - Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
Work is performed in an environmentally-controlled office setting, with no exposure to adverse conditions. Infrequent work-related travel may occur.
BlueCross BlueShield of Kansas City - 2 years ago