A. TITLE OF ROLE: Microcomputer Network Applications Specialist (Grade Level 8)
B. WORKGROUP: Information Technology
C. SUPERVISOR'S TITLE: Director, IT
D. DESCRIPTION OF ROLE: The primary responsibility of this position is to provide microcomputer support activities to all users of microcomputers.
E. SKILLS: Demonstrated work ethic and communication skills; understanding of quality principles, continuous learning, customer focus, and teamwork and partnering skills. Demonstrated capacity for embracing change and learning new technologies. Must possess the ability to diagnose and correct hardware and software problems. Excellent organization, record keeping and communication skills are required. Must be an effective communicator and possess the ability to meet commitments.
F. EDUCATION: A bachelor degree in a business computer related field is required.
G. EXPERIENCE: A minimum of two years experience in a MIS environment with an exposure to IBM AS/400 and microcomputers is essential. Network (LAN) management experience, preferably Microsoft product suites, is required.
H. LIST OF ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Support ASQ’s use of “desktop” technologies by providing the necessary technical services through a formal help desk function.
2. Implements, develops, and coordinates plans for desktop hardware and software installation, configuration, and manages release updates.
3. Performs analytical troubleshooting for network and computer malfunctions.
4. Maintains statistics regarding operations of the network computer system: response times, disk utilization, growth projections, and overall capacity management.
5. Assists users with need for immediate attention such as sign-on, enrollment, or problems with software.
6. Assists users with hardware functions: PC's, printers, modems, network connections, and memory configurations.
7. Assists all staff in exploiting ASQ's technology asset.
8. Assists and trains users in general operation of commonly available microcomputer software products used in an office environment: imaging, faxing, spreadsheet, word processing, etc.
9. Documents procedures for network use.
10. Assists other IT personnel with miscellaneous projects as determined by IT Manager.
11. Performs other duties as assigned by MIS Manager.
I. ROLE RELATIONSHIPS:
1. Internal - Daily contact with computer users regarding planning, problems, and questions.
2. External - Places service calls for equipment repair, and work with equipment suppliers.
J. ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Planning and scheduling. Develops schedules, manpower, and cost estimates for projects.
2. Budgeting and forecasting. Assists in forecasting future resource requirements to aid in budgeting.
3. Responsibility for establishing objectives, policies or standards. None.
4. Impact of decisions. Leader in software and hardware selection and usage, the suitableness of which can greatly influence general productivity and accuracy.
K. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None.
L. SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Operates independently with supervision received from the Director, IT.
M. WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
1. Work Conditions - Normal office conditions.
2. Exposure to Hazards - No exposure to hazards.
N. BEHAVIOR AND ATTITUDE: ASQ’s mission and core values require each staff member to perform professionally and personably. How the employee relates to coworkers, customers, and visitors is as important as the employee’s technical knowledge and ability. Respect and consideration for coworkers, customer, and visitors is a requisite of successful job performance. ASQ’s diversity vision requires each employee to promote in principle and in practice an inclusive environment that maximizes opportunity and responsibility for each member, volunteer, employee, and stakeholder in the organization.
O. OTHER: May be required to house computer equipment at home to provide immediate access, and share duty of being on-call for emergency after-hour and weekend support.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
American Society For Quality - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard
The American Society for Quality, www.asq.org, has been the world's leading authority on quality for more than 60 years. With more than...