Play a vital role within a growing company specializing in land and site development. Bohler Engineering is the premier site/civil engineering and consulting firm in the eastern U.S., providing civil engineering, surveying, planning, landscape architecture and permitting services throughout many market sectors. Bohler employees produce quality project design documents while maintaining effective communication with team members, managers and external entities.
Through our 13 offices, we assist our clients in navigating the land development process from site evaluation and due diligence through project completion. We approach projects from an owner/developer perspective. By treating our clients’ projects like our own, we are able to provide services that continue to exceed expectations.
We are seeking ambitious candidates who are success-driven, possess excellent communication skills and have the ability to multi-task effectively. We offer competitive compensation, career growth, great benefits and professional training. We also support the involvement in professional organizations and continued education/certifications.
We are currently conducting a search for a Mid-Level Design Engineer in our Ronkonkoma, NY office.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Zoning Reviews of municipal zoning and land development ordinances and applicable agency regulations to determine land development limitations for the property.
- Site Investigation & Due Diligence, including review of New York City and Nassau/Suffolk town ordinances, utility service research, outside agency regulations and site visits to establish comprehensive development guidelines.
- Preparation of Concept/Site Drawings based upon client’s development objectives and due diligence conclusions. Involves preparation of concept plan and site plan documents in coordination with CAD designers.
- Design of Stormwater Management, Stormwater Conveyance Systems, SWPPP/NOI including use of AutoCAD/Civil 3D and Hydrology design software. Tasks include preparation of pipe sizing calculations for stormwater conveyance systems, drainage area maps, surface runoff coefficients, invert, slope, velocity and hydraulic grade line evaluation using the Rational Method & Manning’s Equation.
- Grading Design to ensure value engineering is achieved through earthwork analysis, and site safety/accessibility is accomplished through the use of appropriate design slopes
- Utility System Design, including stormwater conveyance, sanitary sewer service, on-site sanitary systems (septic tank/grease trap/ leaching pools), water, gas, telephone service, etc. Also involves determination and resolution of vertical and horizontal utility conflicts.
- Soil Erosion & Sediment Control Design, including stability calculations, Best Management Practices, swale design, spillway design, and determination of construction sequence.
- Lighting Design, in accordance with local Dark Sky ordinances and exterior lighting design best practices.
- Preparation of Construction Cost Estimates based upon site plan drawings as required for client purposes.
- Project Coordination, including conferring with municipal agencies, client, attorney, project team and Bohler affiliates for the purpose of preparing a comprehensive site plan application.
- Preparation of Written Correspondence to outside agencies, client, attorney, contractor, etc. Also includes preparation of technical reports including drainage, sanitary sewer and site investigation reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bohler Engineering is an equal opportunity employer and affords equal opportunity to all applicants and employees for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other status protected under local, state or federal laws.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering
- EIT and pursuing LEED Green Associate certification
- 1-5 years of commercial site design and permitting experience
- Experience designing both big-box and pad retail sites with limited supervision and have the ability to compile a full set of civil site plan documents
- Knowledge of the planning and zoning process
- Must have the ability to understand and implement jurisdictional requirements (specifically New York City and Long Island) in the project design
- Experience dealing with regulatory agencies and review professionals
- Knowledge of stormwater management design regulations for local municipalities
- Proficiency in AutoCAD 2010/2012 (Civil 3D experience is preferred)
- Hydraflow and/or HydraCAD experience preferred
- Proficiency in Excel
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Self starter who can work independently and with team members
- Strong organizational skills