Inwood Academy for Leadership Mission:
To empower students in Inwood and Washington Heights to become agents of social change through community focused leadership, character development, and college preparedness.
Our students are assets to their community. At Inwood Academy our goal is to help them develop the leadership tools they need to be successful in college and beyond by offering a high quality enrichment program, and developing caring mentoring relationships.
Inwood Academy is seeking highly motivated Middle School Teachers to teach elective classes during our morning and afternoon Enrichment Program. The classes are Financial Football, the NYC Stock Market Challenge, and Build it. Candidates with a background in math, science, and financial literacy are strongly encouraged to apply.
Financial Football – Practical Money Skills For Life
This program helps to teach financial concepts with Financial Football, a fast-paced, interactive game that engages students while teaching them money management skills. Teams compete by answering financial questions to earn yardage and score touchdowns.
NYC Stock Market Challenge
This class gives students the chance to invest a hypothetical $100,000 in an on-line portfolio. They think they're playing a game but they're learning economic and financial concepts they'll use for the rest of their lives.
Students will have to use their creativity and ingenuity to solve weekly challenges by building simple machines ie the egg drop challenge.
- Work in a collaborative team teaching environment or individual classroom setting
- Engage students in active learning
- Contribute to program design and implementation
- Participate in all staff programs and academic planning, implementation, and
- Work collaboratively with other staff and teachers daily
- Enforce and uphold school policies and culture
- Must uphold and model Inwood Academy’s values and principles.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of IALCS
- Must be available for 8:30am – 10:30am or 2:30pm – 4:30pm.
- Knowledgeable in subject area
- At least one year of teaching in an urban environment
- Passionate about teaching and subject matter
- Energetic, motivated, innovative, prepared
- Valid NYS Teaching Certificate preferred
- Evidence of excellence when working with middle school students
- Wide-ranging intellectual and educational interests
- Superior communication skills
- An ability to work collaboratively
Anticipated start date: September 6, 2012