Excelsior College seeks applicants for the position of military academic advisor. This is a full-time position based in Albany, NY.
The main function of this position is the advisement of students and evaluation of documents for military service members, veterans, and military education counselors (for enrolled and prospective students) by mail, phone, email, fax, and personal interview regarding the College's flexible educational opportunities. The military academic advisor evaluates transfer credit from military documents and government related organizations for credit toward Excelsior College degree requirements. The military academic advisor will be proficient and possess knowledge expected of an enrolled academic advisor in multiple degree programs spanning different divisions (e.g. business, health sciences, liberal arts, nursing, and technology). In addition, the military academic advisor will take a proactive approach in the recruitment plan of the military education office, by building relationships with military education counselors and military prospective students, conducting preliminary reviews for prospective students, and provide information and encouragement to individuals involved in the College enrollment decision-making process. The position requires a commitment to providing quality service by assimilating a large body of factual information and relating it to students in a caring, efficient, and consistent manner.
This is a student services position where the emphasis will be placed upon providing accurate, timely, and quality service to enrolled and prospective students, as well as military education counselors, at a distance. The military academic advisor will be well versed in all college options, learning opportunities and services, and will be able to direct inquiries for the most appropriate service.
Military academic advisors report to the assistant director, military academic programs with oversight from the executive director for the Center for Military Education.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Advisement by phone, letter, E-mail, fax, and personal interview:
- Advise students in:
- their consideration of educational goals by relating interests, skills, abilities, and values to careers, the world of work, and the nature and purpose of higher education.
- developing an educational plan consistent with life goals and objectives (alternative courses of action, alternate career considerations, and selection of courses).
- the decision-making process regarding their educational goals and military promotion system.
- initial and continuing evaluation of progress toward established goals and educational plans.
- Accurate information about military and institutional policies, procedures, resources and programs.
- Official approval for students' proposed courses and examinations.
- Efficient and consistent tracking of student service/advisement by maximizing the use of computer systems (i.e., Lotus Notes, Student Information System [SIS], web technology).
- Advise military prospective students and military education counselors on the benefits of enrollment in Excelsior College.
- Apprise students of various sources of credit and advise them in making appropriate selections.
- Recommend Excelsior College courses and examinations to students to complete degree requirements.
- Advocate for students by making referrals to Excelsior College services (e.g., career services, VA/financial aid), and other educational support services (e.g., foreign credential evaluation service, military education network, public library) and providing supportive documentation as appropriate (e.g., letters of recommendation, transient student letters, letters of good standing).
- Evaluate military documents and forward the file to the appropriate academic advisor for the official degree evaluation for enrolled students within prescribed turnaround time.
- Conduct preliminary reviews for prospective students to include the evaluation of military and college credits for Excelsior College degree programs.
- Utilize SIS Course Library and the online American Council on Education (ACE) Military Guide in the evaluation of military experience.
- Research credit sources using both internal and external resources.
- Evaluate credit and classify course content according to current College policies and degree requirements.
- Communicate with students within the prescribed turnaround time about the evaluation of credits presented.
- Serve as advocate for military education counselors and military service members.
The advisor works in a team relationship with other advisors to assure quality.
- collaboratively with academic advisors from other degree programs and admissions counselors to resolve military related curricular issues.
- independently and interact effectively and cooperatively with team members and other college staff.
- toward unit and college strategic planning goals for advisement services and military enrollment goals.
- Participate in professional development and training activities and may submit proposals and present papers at national and regional conferences.
- Actively participate in the training of new advising staff.
- Assist in the preparation/development of military advisement and other college materials.
- Serve cooperatively on college committees and study groups.
- Provide information about students and their needs either individually or collectively to the institution, colleges, and/or academic departments, following Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) policies.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, salary history, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information online , or by mail:
- Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution is required. Previous experience in military education and/or higher education is preferred.
- Strong analytic and problem solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient computer literacy and willingness to learn new applications.
- Ability to:
- work with diverse populations
- manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- review and prepare accurate, detailed documents
- master a wide body of factual knowledge (e.g., academic and career options) with a high degree of accuracy and detail
Human Resources Office
Military Academic Advisor Search
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, New York 12203-5159
Excelsior College - 23 months ago
Founded as Regents College in 1971 and chartered as a private, nonprofit institution in 1998, the College was renamed Excelsior College in...