Common Sense Media is the leading independent, non-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of kids and families by providing the information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in a world of media and technology. We are a growing 9 year old organization with over 70 persons, and attracting national media attention on almost a daily basis. Simply put, if you don’t send us your CV, you'll kick yourself!
We are looking for a talented mobile application developer who has experience developing primarily on the iOS platform to deliver world-class mobile apps (phone and tablets). As the lead developer of mobile applications, you must wear many hats: from advising the team on concepts and best practices to writing code and working with UX to deliver the best experience for iPhone and devices. You will also help manage outsource partners who help us, particularly on the Android side.
We have a new App about to launch (far superior to the current App) and plans for a series of Apps that will help transform the way media for children is brought to parents, kids and educators around the world. Our forthcoming Apps will be in millions of hands given the reach of our website and partners. We are looking for someone who wants to push the envelope and work with some of the finest mobile advisors and experts in the industry to create applications with real impact.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RESUME (REALLY!)
- Responsible for the technical development and delivery of best- in-class mobile applications.
- Develop new iOS phone and tablet Apps for parents, educators, and kids
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Collaborate closely with product development, user interface designers, platform engineers, and multiple stakeholders to define and implement product features
- Ability to innovate and come up with new ideas especially around UX, user input and content delivery
- Build high-level user interfaces using rapid prototyping methodologies
- Design application frameworks for use across multiple products
- Identify and build platform elements required to support key mobile features
- Implement upgrades, rebuilds and additional porting of applications
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be passionate and forward-thinking about new trends and best practices in mobile technology, and willing to put that knowledge into practice quickly and efficiently
- Willing to work with remote employees and outside developers where necessary.
THE X FACTOR
- Thorough knowledge of the iOS programming environment
- Acted as a key contributor to at least three publically released native iPhone applications.
- Sound programming fundamentals: experience working with memory management, thread synchronization, and event based programming issues; utilization of sound engineering principles in writing code
- Strong C/Objective-C, C++ programming skills required
- Strong knowledge of iOS best practices and the HIG required
- Knowledge of JSON, MySQL preferred
- Android development experience nice-to-have
- Experience maintaining a mobile cache server running Tomcat/Ehcache nice-to-have
- Strong interpersonal skills; must be able to demonstrate an ability to work well with other non-technical members of the development team
- 2 years of mobile software development experience; concentration in mobile application development strongly preferred.
- Experience with evaluating and assuming responsibility for code written by third parties helpful
- Experience developing iPad application interfaces highly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to build intuitive user interfaces for mobile applications.
- Experience developing mobile applications with remote server storage a plus
- Must successfully pass a background check.
WHAT WE OFFER
- You are calm, mature, organized and able to work on multiple projects with overlapping deadlines as well as troubleshoot technical and resource issues
- You are a skilled communicator and collaborator and are inspired by the Common Sense Media mission
- You have a great sense of humor – even when meeting tough deadlines.
- A chance to work with talented, passionate professionals
- Very competitive Salary and Benefits based on experience
- An organization that offers work/lifestyle balance
- Competitive benefits including, Medical, Dental, Vision a matching 401(k) plan and free gym membership
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids this generation and the next!
Common Sense Media Inc. - 21 months ago