The Mobile Software Developer IV will be responsible for providing mobile expertise to an application development team, as well as contributing towards the development and support of Cengage Learning’s high-quality, electronic products, including mobile web and native mobile applications. The Developer will work in a highly collaborative, cross functional and Agile team and may take a lead role on various software components. The Developer will also be responsible for developing unit testing and overall integration tests for the project team.
- Test-drives awesome code, working closely with other Agile team members.
- Gets things done. Takes ownership of tasks when others do not. Helps drive the completion of all kinds of work tasks.
- Helps break down, estimate, and provide just-in-time design for small increments of work.
- Builds a strong team using their collaboration skills.
- Promotes improvements in version control, continuous integration, project build, and project automation.
- Pair programs with different people in many situations.
- Performs root cause analysis, technology evaluation, and design spikes.
- Continuously learns, and is unafraid to learn new practices, processes, technologies, and languages.
- Models courageous, continuous learning to the team. Actively helps team members continuously learn.
- Stays abreast of industry trends, technology trends, language trends, process trends. Brings new ideas to the team. Ideally also participates in open source projects, and/or blogs about technology concerns.
- Provides leadership and assistance among and across teams.
- Commits to completing well-defined work, and delivers on those commitments.
- Participates in and may lead weekly demonstrations of recently-completed work.
- Reports status of assigned software development and/or maintenance tasks
- Consistently follows software development methodology
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent combination of education and recent, relevant work experience
- Minimum 7 years software development experience including 2 years of experience developing for mobile devices
- Knowledge of and desire to work in an Agile development environment.
- Strong familiarity with object-oriented systems and enterprise design patterns
- Android Java and/or iOS Objective-C programming experience
- Familiarity with wide portfolio of software development applications, environments and languages
- Strong understanding of HTTP/REST/API architecture
- Experience using source code control systems, such as Git, Subversion, or CVS
- Appreciation of user experience and understanding of the impact of technical decisions on the user.
- Experience building and deploying apps to various devices and environments
- Deep knowledge of iOS/Android SDK UI interaction, user flow standard interaction, and UI design patterns
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills required
- Creative problem solving skills and ability to effectively communicate and translate feedback, needs and solutions
- Must have strong teamwork orientation and the ability to foster collaboration within and across teams
- Must be sensitive to cultural differences in interactions and in the way work is done
- Needs good work ethic and strong sense of ownership of end result
- May require up to 10% travel, including international travel
- Advanced degree preferred
- Experience with Agile development methodologies, including XP methods such as Test Driven Development and pair programming
- Experience with a variety of Database Systems, such as LDAP, Oracle, Sybase, MongoDB, NoSQL
- Leadership skills and experience managing the work of development staff
- Thorough understanding of iOS Objective-C memory management
- Visual design savvy, attention to detail, familiarity with UI/UX standards
- Demonstrated ability to teach, train, and coach others in new and advanced skills or direction
- Passion for working in the academic, professional or library markets, and experience with technologies within those markets such as LMS, eReaders, OPAC, OpenURL, Z39.50, and SRU/SRW
Cengage Learning is an equal opportunity employer, committed to attracting and retaining a talented and diverse workforce. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.
Cengage Learning is a leading educational content, technology, and services company for the higher education and K-12, professional and...