The Underwriter will be responsible for the underwriting function for residential mortgage loans and related products. The underwriter will have delegated decision-making authority on originated applications within HBI, investor, or agency guidelines or parameters. Additionally the underwriter is responsible for the monitoring of and complying with regulatory compliance on all applications. The underwriter will help to improve customer service by underwriting all loans in a timely manner.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES : (Other duties may be assigned.)
1. Supervise underwriting staff. This duty is performed daily, about 15% of the time.
2. Respond to procedural, product and system questions for underwriting team. This duty is performed daily, about 5% of the time.
3. Review underwriting reports to make sure the work flow is within the departments goals. This duty is performed daily, about 10% of the time.
4. Assist with developong processes that will increase effectiveness of process and team. Identify any needed training for loan officers/originators and processors. This duty is performed daily, about 5% of the time.
5. Perform at 25 - 50% of underwriter production goals. Underwrite mortgage loan applications and evaluate loans in order to maximize organizational profit and minimize risk or loss.. Perform all daily duties on bank systems and Mortgage ioperating system such as DU,DO, LP and Encompass. This duty is performed daily, about 20% of the time.
6. Perform audits of new underwriters according to performance standards. This duty is performed daily, about 5% of the time.
7. Conduct monthly meetings with sales staff to update them on underwriting changes. This duty is performed daily, about 5% of the time.
8. Thoroughly examine appraisals to ascertain that the subject property of the loan is adequate security for the loan. This duty is performed daily, about 5% of the time.
9. Confirm that all documents in the underwriting package are in compliance and that all facets of the loan meet application program guidelines for various investors and government programs. This duty is performed daily, about 5% of the time.
10. Provide a second review of another HBI underwriter's denial of a loan application. This duty is performed daily, about 5% of the time.
11. Communicate with loan officers/originators and processors as to current turn times for underwriting, as well as any needed items required for underwriting. This duty is performed daily, about 5% of the time.
12. Serve as a resource to loan officers/originators and processors in resolving problems with mortgage loan files. This duty is performed daily, about 5% of the time.
13. .Demonstrates a Team Player personality that ultimately delivers good service to the customer while protecting the Bank with prudent underwriting decisions. This duty is performed annually, about 5% of the time.
14. Refer customers to other bank personnel as needed. This duty is performed about 4% of the time.
15. Completes required BSA/AML training and other compliance training as assigned. This duty is performed about 1% of the time.
16. Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
INITIATIVE AND INGENUITY
Under general direction, working from policies and general directives. Rarely refers specific cases to supervisor unless clarification or interpretation of the organization's policy is required.
Considerable responsibility with regard to general assignments in planning time, method, manner, and/or sequence of performance of own work, in addition, the work operations of a group of employees, all performing basically the same type of work.
Performs work operations which permit frequent opportunity for decision-making of minor importance and also frequent opportunity for decision-making of major importance, either of which would affect the work operations of large organizational component and the organization's clientele.
Intense mental demand. Operations requiring sustained directed thinking to analyze, solve, or plan highly variable, administrative, professional, or technical tasks involving complex problems or mechanisms.
ANALYTICAL ABILITY / PROBLEM SOLVING
Oversight. Activities covered by expansive policies and objectives, and oversight as to execution and review. High order of analytical, interpretative, and constructive thinking in varied situations covering multiple areas of the organization.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR WORK OF OTHERS
The level of direct supervisory responsibility for the assignment of job duties, training, leadership, guidance, needs of employees, hiring, terminating and/or direction of the effort of others. Scoring will depend upon the number and classification of people normally supervised or directed, and the scope of complexity of the operations involved in the supervisory responsibility. (Job classification which involves no supervision will not be assigned a point value for this factor.)
Supervises a moderate size group (8-15) of employees, but possibly smaller if difficult, semi-technical work, requiring considerable direction and assistance, is involved. Plans, directs and coordinates work, makes decisions, and performs personally the more difficult aspects of the same broad assignment.
Supervises the following departments: Underwriting Department
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities may include but not limited to interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR FUNDS, PROPERTY and EQUIPMENT
No responsibility for this factor.
Probable errors would normally not be detected in succeeding operations and could possibly affect organization-patron relationship, involve re-work, or additional expenditures in order to properly resolve the error. The possibility of such errors would occur quite frequently in performance of the job. May also cause inaccuracies or incomplete information that would be used in other segments of the organization as a basis for making subsequent decisions, plans, or actions.
FREEDOM TO ACT
Moderately directed. Freedom to act is given by upper level management guided by general policies and objectives that are reviewed by top management.
ANNUAL MONETARY IMPACT
The amount of annual dollars generated based on the job's essential duties / responsibilities. Examples would include direct dollar generation, departmental budget, proper handling of organization funds, expense control, savings from new techniques or reduction in manpower.
Small. Job creates a monetary impact for the organization from $100,000 to $1mm.
IMPACT ON END RESULTS
Moderate impact. Job has a definite impact on the organization's end results. Participates with others in taking action for a department and/or total organization.
Extensive contacts with various diversified sectors of the public environment; wherein, the contacts are of major importance and failure to exercise proper judgment can lead to substantial losses to the organization.
Contacts with other departments or offices and also frequently with individuals in middle level positions; consulting on problems which necessitate judgment and tact in presentation to obtain cooperation or approval of action to be taken. Also, important contacts with associates as required in advanced supervisory jobs.
USE OF MACHINES, EQUIPMENT AND/OR COMPUTERS
Occasional use of complex machines and equipment (desktop/laptop computer and software, road and production machines and equipment, etc.)
Periodically exposed to such elements as noise, intermittent standing, walking, occasionally pushing, carrying, or lifting; but none are present to the extent of being disagreeable.
The following work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty mentioned satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Broad knowledge of such fields as accounting, marketing, business administration, finance, etc. Equivalent to a four year college degree, plus 5 years related experience and/or training, and 3 years related management experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and policy/procedure manuals; Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Investor delegated authority, FHA Direct Endorsement
PREFERRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Investor Delegated Authority, FHA Direct Endorsement, Veterans Administration (LAPP) approval.
SOFTWARE SKILLS REQUIRED
Advanced: 10-Key, Alphanumeric Data Entry, Word Processing/Typing
Basic: Contact Management, Database, Presentation/PowerPoint, Spreadsheet
The following physical activities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations.
Highly repetitive, low physical. Highly repetitive type of work which requires concentration in the performance of tasks for consistent time cycles as prescribed by the tasks.
While performing the functions of this job, the employee is continuously required to sit, talk or hear; frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms; and occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
1. In depth knowledge of FNMA, FHLMC, FHA, and secondary market standards regarding credit and property guidelines required
2. Knowledgeable in the underwriting of VA and Rural Development loans
3. Extensive knowledge of all laws and regulations pertaining to mortgage lending function
4. Bachelor's degree and 2-5 years experience OR equivalent 6-10 years experience in mortgage lending
5. Ability to read and understand financial statements, tax returns, property appraisals, and title work
6. Good communication skills, ability to multi-task, and good organization skills
7. Ability to communicate both orally and written in clear and concise manner
8. Ability to prioritize time and files so that closing deadlines can be met
9. Experience with Encompass Anywhere preferred
10. 1+ year experience using personal computers
11. Experience using Microsoft Office Products
12. Proficient telephone and customer service skills
13. Ability to sit for long periods
14. Ability to lift 20 lbs.
15. Ability to multi-task