Skip to Main Content
Current Career Opportunities
Motor Vehicle Technician I
Fri. 05/04/12 4:30 PM Mountain Time
Location will vary throughout Adams County, Colorado
Print Job Information |
This is the first step in a three-step career progression. This entry-level position, after receiving training on the basics, should be able to work independently most of the time. The level I should also be able to use the various manuals available to provide basic information for themselves and the public.
Candidate will assist the public, in person and over the phone, with the motor vehicle registration and licensing process; provide information on various topics, such as title application procedures and registration requirements; and issue marriage licenses and perform voter registration.
Examples of Important and Essential Duties:
- Processes application and issues motor vehicle titles and licenses at the service counter. Determines type of title and license needed. Calculates and collects appropriate sales tax and license fees. Enforces emission and insurance requirements and heavy vehicle use tax programs. Verifies accuracy of all documentation submitted and ensures compliance with motor vehicle statutes, rules and regulations.
- Basic understanding of how fees are calculated, the application of fees, definition of fees, taxable value, weight, and MSRP, and must be able to explain to the customer.
- Basic knowledge of applicable taxes, percentages due, when they are due and exceptions.
- Basic understanding of the purpose of temporary permits. Know the requirements for the use and issuance of.
- Understand the various license plates, their application and restrictions. Knowledge of additional documentation that may be required such as emissions, insurance requirements and handicap authorizations etc.
- Ability to accurately cashier transactions. Ability to calculate and collect taxes and fees due. Ability to reconcile cash drawer daily.
- Communicates with public, dealerships, finance companies and banks regarding title application procedures, license plate renewals, emission tests and other motor vehicle issues. Responds to customer complaints and explains statutes, policies and procedures that apply to each situation. Ability to work with customers to resolve problems. Refers complex problems to supervisor.
- Should be able to use reference materials such as Polk and Peck Books, Blue Books, Registration and Title Manuals.
- Able to effectively write and send correspondence to customers and explain fees, reason for rejection of documents, policies and procedures with supervisor approval.
- Maintain records for inventory of license plates, verification stickers and forms used. Reorders supplies as necessary.
- Performs VIN Inspections.
- Performs voter registration.
- Able to issue marriage licenses and performs the oath of honesty.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Experience – One year of job experience that included cashiering, general office work and customer service. Experience in data entry and computer operations is preferred, but not required.
- Education – High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- License or Certificate - Ability to become deputized.
- Must be able to type 40 wpm.
Essential duties require the following physical abilities and work environment:
HOURS: Hours will vary between 7:00 am and 5:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Work is performed primarily in an office environment. Work atmosphere may be noisy and hectic due to contact with general public in person and on the telephone.
- Must be able to pass CBI background check.
- Class "R" driver's license, state-mandated auto insurance and own transportation are required.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 25 pounds.
Current Career Opportunities
4430 South Adams County Parkway | Brighton, Colorado 80601 | 303.659.2120 | 800.824.7842
Adams County - 12 months ago
Adams County Winery, which first began operation in 1976, is a small farm winery located in Adams County, just eight miles west of Gettysbur...