The nation's largest child advocacy association, National PTA, currently has an opening for a Multicultural Communications Specialist located in Alexandria, Virginia. The Multicultural Communications Specialist position is designed to strengthen the association’s ability to appropriately and effectively communicate with culturally diverse populations. The specialist serves as the primary translator between English and Spanish for printed and electronic content. This position also enhances the communications outreach function by supporting partnerships, engaging celebrities and VIPs, tracking references to National PTA and its key issues in the media, and preparing spokespeople.
The essential duties and responsibilities of the Multicultural Communications Specialist will include but not limited to:
Education and Experience
- Identify translation needs for printed and digital content.
- Translate with precision communications, marketing, advocacy, program, membership and other materials between English and Spanish.
- Support media partnerships by generating and presenting ideas for new initiatives, supplying original and compelling content, and serving as the day-to-day relationship liaison.
- Support celebrity and VIP engagement in National PTA initiatives, including keynote speakers at National PTA events, by liaising with agents, managers and publicists, executing agreements, and staffing appearances.
- Support media relations activities, including the preparation of spokespeople and training of staff and volunteers.
- Track and report media coverage on a routine basis.
- Liaise with subject-matter experts to ensure the accuracy of content and with graphic designers to improve the presentation of information.
- Serve as an internal resource to assist members and others who communicate exclusively in Spanish.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- Advise on the development of a Spanish-language website.
- Follow organizational processes for preparation and approval of materials.
- Coordinate with consultants and vendors, including professional translation and media monitoring services.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, marketing, public policy or related field is required.
- Minimum 3 years of work experience, including professional translation.
- Experience working with a culturally diverse population.
National PTA offers competitive salary, medical, dental, life, LTD, 403 (b), transportation benefit, flexible spending accounts, EAP, paid vacation, sick, holiday and personal days. ONLY resumes including salary requirements will be considered. Send resume and salary requirements to: Human Resources, National PTA, 1250 N. Pitt St., Alexandria, VA 22314, or via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org EOE. No phone calls, please. For information on National PTA, please visit our website: www.pta.org .
- Fluent in Spanish (professional and conversational)
- Proficient in Chicago and/or AP writing style
- Demonstrated tact and success in working with executives, leadership volunteers and other VIPs
- Proven record of developing and managing partnerships
- Knowledge of media relations and web communications practices and trends
- Able to juggle multiple demands, manage shifting priorities and meet deadlines
- Familiar with education, health, parenting and/or advocacy-related terminology and concepts
- Advanced skills in MS Office