The Multimedia Designer (Communications Consultant 2) position is a key member of the Extended Education marketing team, responsible for all digital communication to current and future student groups.
With a high degree of independence, this position is responsible for creating and distributing a variety of digital communications to diverse audiences through effective web design, multimedia materials, email marketing and social media, including the maintenance of 75+ program web pages. The position will assist the Marketing Manager in developing and implementing strategic e-communication plans for Extended Education offerings.
This position is part of a Public School Employees of WWU bargaining unit. New employees are required to meet the membership requirements of the current collective bargaining agreement within 30 calendar days of employment.
About the Department: Extended Education
- Design layouts and assist with creating content for electronic communication, including websites, which maintain a consistent look with other online and print publication initiatives
- Designs and produces digital graphic projects such as banner ads, slide shows, headers, logos, language-specific landing pages, educational information and materials
- Proactively monitor and update websites to ensure content is accurate and timely, look and feel is consistent across platforms, and content is creative and engaging
- Provides recommendations for converting outdated webpages; makes recommendations for pages that will ensure a positive user experience (i.e. navigation structure, page layout, content, etc.)
- Project manages creation of new websites/pages, including development of an internal process/check-list for managing such projects
- Conduct cross-platform testing with common browsers and devices to ensure consistent graphical design and behavior of content
- Works collaboratively with marketing staff to develop and coordinate effective and appropriate web-based and electronic communication solutions to maximize visibility of Western and Extended Education programs
- Utilizes online tools to measure and report effectiveness of web-based communications
- Assist in creation and implementation of social media strategy for Extended Education programs
- Accomplishes conversions and manipulations of photographs and illustrations, using a variety of reprographic techniques, computer software, and materials
- Ensures compliance with design standards, logo usage and Americans with Disabilities Act requirements
- Serve as a liaison between Extended Education, departments and programs, and the Office of Communications and Marketing to assist with coordination of communications
- Attends campus website work-group meetings to stay informed about the implementation timeline and process of converting sites to Drupal Content Management System
- Investigate emerging technology trends in interactive and multimedia technology
- Willingness to take ownership of assigned projects
- Other duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree in design or two or more years employment experience in digital communications/graphic design
- Professional experience designing high quality imagery for the web using Adobe Creative Suite
- Demonstrated experience using Dreamweaver to create websites with XML, XHTML, CSS, Java Script, Usability, Accessibility, UX Design, Content Management Systems
- Familiarity with one or more web programming language for creating database-driven, dynamic webpages such as ASP.NET, PHP, Perl or JSP, etc.
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and web analytics
- Proven success coordinating multiple, high-paced, deadline-driven projects simultaneously
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Knowledgeable and passionate about the ever-changing digital marketing landscape
- Ability to work under limited supervision when required
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with diverse groups at multiple organizational levels
- Experience using Drupal Content Management System
- Experience creating and implementing social media strategies
- Familiarity with responsive web design
- Experience developing and producing multimedia-marketing pieces, including video, audio and interactive content
- Understanding of web-based communication strategies and issues surrounding the marketing of higher education
Job Location: Western Washington University , Bellingham, WA
Salary: New hires typically begin a $3,063/month including an excellent benefit package.
Bargaining Union: PTE
Application Instructions and Requested Documents: Please log in below and submit your application via WWU’s Electronic Application System for Employment (EASE). Note: You will need to be using Internet Explorer to utilize our online application system.
A cover letter and resume are required and should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications. You may cut and paste or upload your resume as noted on the EASE application.
Please complete the education and work experience section of the EASE application and submit the names and contact information of three professional references.
Western Washington University - 16 months ago