High School Diploma or GED certificate
One (1) year experience as an Emergency Services Dispatcher and/or 911 Call Taker, or two (2) years of experience in a high call volume contact center
Licenses and Certifications Required:
1. Certification or the ability to type at least 45 net words per minute is required. The typing certificate must be issued within one (1) year prior to our receipt of you application and may be attached to your online application.
2. Must be able to obtain TCLEOSE Basic Telecommunicator Certification within one (1) year of employment
- Note that self certification using keyboard software and/or online typing certificates will not be accepted. Certificates showing only percentage of error (90% accuracy or 40% of error) will also not be accepted.*
3. Must certify in TCIC / NCIC within six (6) months of employment and take and pass an online test every two years to maintain certification.
Notes to Applicants
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of all testing requirements, including background, fingerprint clearance, and the interview process.
A resume and cover letter must be submitted, but will not supstitute for a complete employment applications.
$15.33 per hour
Shift assignments and days off rotate and are varied to meet the needs of a 24-hour, 7-day a week operation in an emergency response environment. To be considered for this position, candidates must be available for various shifts and various days off. Weekend and Holiday work required.
Job Close Date
Departments may close a posting at their discretion
Open Until Filled
Type of Posting
Temporary (No benefits)
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
5010 Old Manor Rd, Austin, Texas
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Receives coded information requesting Police investigation from 911 to responsible field units including vehicle, motorcycle, and helicopter.
2. Operates Police Emergency Radio System in accordance with FCC rules and regulations.
3. Maintains constant awareness of status of mobile units and updates information as it changes.
4. Receives radio calls from field units; transmits messages via radio or telephone using a Computer Aided Dispatch/Mobile Data Terminal computer system.
5. Updates information on an ongoing basis to ensure all documentation is accurate and concise.
6. Maintains effective communication between Austin Police Officers and other outside neighboring law enforcement agencies
7. Uses Computer Aided Dispatch ( CAD ) system to enter, research and retrieve information
8. Analyzes requests for police service, determines priority ranking of each request and the kind and level of service to be dispatched in initial response;
9. Determine available units to dispatch; dispatch personnel and equipment according to standard operational procedures,
10. Provides clear, concise, and effective written and verbal communication; effectively using the phonetic alphabet and dispatch codes
Responsibilities – Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
1. Skill in verbal and written communication.
2. Skill in handling conflict and uncertain situations.
3. Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing under a stressful environment
4. Skill in using computers and related software applications.
5. Ability to work in close quarters and to wear a telephone headset for long periods of time
6. Ability to learn dispatch codes
7. Ability to quickly and accurately obtain appropriate information and to think clearly in emergency situations.
8. Ability to read and interpret street maps
9. Ability to make sound decisions using available information; read and interpret rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
10. Ability to establish and maintain effective communication and working relationships with city employees and the public.
Does this job require a criminal background investigation?
This position requires a criminal background investigation
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.