Develops educational programs and exhibits for the City’s Museums, and coordinates marketing, advertising, promotions and technical support activities.
This is a full-time, regular, FLSA exempt position which involves competing demands, performing multiple tasks, working to deadlines, occasional work beyond normal business hours, and responding to customer issues.
The available position will be for hours worked on Tuesday through Saturday each week. However, this recruitment may be used to fill multiple vacancies to include positions that are regular, or contract and may be full-time, part-time, or temporary, and working varied shifts .
FIRST CONSIDERATION MAY BE GIVEN TO CURRENT CITY OF LAS CRUCES EMPLOYEES WHO MEET ALL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Develops, organizes and manages museum programs and exhibitions; develops concept for exhibits and programs and formalizes design; recommends art and artifacts for exhibits and educational programs that complement the themes of gallery exhibitions, including performances.
· Plans and maintains permanent and temporary museum exhibits, exhibit-related displays and presentations; coordinates the presentation of traveling exhibitions; prepares graphics including signs, banners, murals, labels and schematics according to intended audience.
· Researches, identifies, classifies, and writes promotional materials for exhibitions and educational programs including object lists, labels, ad copy for newsletter, gallery guides, and other materials; conducts research in connection with identifying and describing objects in the collections and concepts of the educational programs.
· Plans and organizes loan exhibitions and special programs; meets with artists, educators, community groups, and members of the public to discuss programs and potential exhibitions; conducts lectures, tours and training; answers inquiries from the public; coordinates work of instructors, volunteers, students and part-time employees; prepares correspondence, reports, and budgets.
· Assists in development, implementation and monitoring of marketing and promotional efforts; presents public programs about museum activities; works with staff, Museum Foundations and other organizations in coordinating, promoting and operating fund-raising projects and special events.
· Researches opportunities for cultural programs, activities and special events; coordinates work with other municipal departments and community organizations
· Evaluates existing programs for effectiveness, and recommends new programs or program changes; tracks services provided, monitors results, and generates operational reports as needed.
Bachelor’s Degree in humanities, liberal arts, art history, museum studies or related field AND two years public art and museum program management experience OR a combination of education, experience, and training may be applied in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy. Master’s degree is desirable.
Valid driver’s license is required. Position requires an acceptable driving record in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy. Bilingual skills (English/Spanish) are desirable.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of: Principles, practices and standards for design of museum exhibits and educational programs; multi-project management techniques; methods, practices and procedures for collection care, and management of exhibits and educational programs; purpose, use and benefits of museums & cultural program activities; guidelines and practices of the American Association of Museums; policies, rules and regulations governing the conduct and safety of museums, programs and facilities; legal liabilities and responsibilities for museums & cultural program services; principles and practices of public relations, marketing, and communications; business and personal computers, and spreadsheet software applications; City policies and procedures.
Ability to: Assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects and demands; communicate effectively in verbal and written forms; establish and maintain effective working relations with co-workers and representatives from other local, state and Federal agencies.
Skills in: Developing and managing exhibition and educational programs; researching, selecting, and applying for grants, endowments and exhibits for a wide variety of age and interest groups; developing recommendations for improvements of museum programs and facilities; conducting public presentations; presenting information regarding museum missions and operations to patrons of the museum; using special tools, materials and equipment specific to museums.