The online application process has been enabled for this recruitment. Those that have already submitted a paper application and Initial Interview Questionnaire are already within the system and do not need to reapply.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Natural Resources Police Officer Candidate is the trainee level of law enforcement work learning to enforce conservation, criminal, traffic, civil and boating laws, rules and regulations. Employees in this classification do not have supervisory responsibility.
MINIMUM EDUCATION OR GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
Education : High School diploma or G.E.D. certificate acceptable to the Maryland State Board of Education as described in the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission regulation.
Experience : None.
Note : The above educational requirement is set by the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission in accordance with the Annotated Code of Maryland, Public Safety Article, Section 3-207.
AGE : Must be at least 20 ½ years of age to apply.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification must complete and successfully pass the Entrance Level Police Training Course required by the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission and the Maryland Natural Resources Police within one year of the date of employment.
2. Employees in this classification will be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle and will be required to possess a motor operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
1. Selection standards for police officer certification are established by the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission in accordance with the Annotated Code of Maryland, Public Safety Article, Section 3-207. These selection criteria are listed in detail in the Code of Maryland Regulations 12.04.01.04 and include the following:
2. Employees are subject to call-in 24-hours a day and, therefore, will be required to provide the employer with a phone number where they can be reached.
- U.S. Citizenship
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- A completed background investigation, including a check of criminal history
- Oral interview and truth verification device testing
- Physical and psychological examination following offer of employment.
3. Employees in this classification will be required to bear firearms and to demonstrate practical knowledge and proficiency in the safe use and care of firearms on a periodic basis.
4. Employees in this classification are subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulations, 17.04.09, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
5. Employees in this classification are subject to assignment in any area of the State.
6. Employees in this classification will serve a two-year probation period.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be scheduled to a take a functional fitness assessment test. Those applicants that pass the functional fitness assessment test will be scheduled to take a Pass/Fail written test. Those applicants who pass the written test will continue through the selection process and applicants will be subject to a comprehensive background investigation which will include:
Applicants will be placed on an eligibility list for at least one year based on a comprehensive review of all elements of the process by a Police Selection Committee. Applicants who meet the qualifications are most likely to meet the challenges of a career as a Natural Resources Police Officer and will be ranked in one of the three categories: Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified.
- drug screening
- oral interview
- medical and psychological examinations
STATE OF MARYLAND BENEFITS
is STRONGLY recommended.
If online access is not available, you may submit a paper application and Initial Interview Questionnaire. Applicants that do not submit both documents at the time of application will be disapproved.
Paper applicants may send the completed application AND questionnaire to:
RE: NRP Candidate
Maryland Department of Budget and Management
Recruitment & Examination Division
301 W. Preston Street, Room 608
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
State of Maryland - 23 months ago