The Patient Care Assistant II (PCA II) works in partnership with the licensed nurse to support the delivery of care in an environment that promotes caring and healing. The Patient Care Assistant II demonstrates basic knowledge and skills necessary to communicate appropriately and carry out delegated tasks for age specific populations under the supervision of a licensed nurse. He/she records data established by policy and procedure, and reports observations and patient problems to the licensed nurse. The Patient Care Assistant II is responsible for assigned non-nursing functions. Has demonstrated competencies or has certification for education of advanced skills such as phlebotomy and stoma care. The PCA II practices Relationship Centered Care in concert with the Methodist Health Care System values of Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect and Excellence.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Adolescence, Young Adult, Middle Adult, Mature Adult
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides care to patients assigned within unit specific defined limits.
1. Performs treatment and procedures in accordance with established policies and procedures.
2. Housewide skills
3. Unit-specific skills
4. High/risk/low frequency/waived test skills
5. Completes competencies listed on PCA Orientation Checklist
2. Reports observations, conditions and problems of patients to the licensed nurse.
3. Records care administered according to established procedures.
4. Maintains a clean and organized environment.
5. Demonstrates an understanding and commitment to maintaining an environment that assures all customers, all individuals, are treated with dignity and respect. Employee actively participates in making recommendations for improving working relationships in the department/unit.
6. Utilizes Relationship-centered Care principles (partner with the patient/family, greet and introduce self, make eye contact and smile, listen and respond with empathy, display appropriate body language at all times, and use a pleasant tone of voice) to enhance patient/customer satisfaction.
7. Demonstrates the components of the ICARE values statement to all customers including co-workers. Accepts constructive feedback as opportunity to improve customer satisfaction. Shows flexibility and accountability in meeting scheduling requirements.
8. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or its equivalent is required.
Minimum of one year of hospital experience.
Must have phlebotomy and EKG experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Current American Heart Association CPR required
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Must be able to write and speak effectively in English
- 2 years ago - save job
Methodist Hospital provides care for Houstonians. The not-for-profit organization, also known as Methodist Hospital System, owns and...