Work Group: Local Network
Function: Installation and Maintenance
Wage Scale: 2
Location: Payson, AZ
Typical Work Hours: Scheduled to meet the needs of our customers
Basic Job Qualifications for INTERNAL Candidates:
- Internal Candidates must meet Time in Title/Location requirements of their current position for consideration.
- Installs, maintains/repairs and tests residential/small business broadband products such as; High Speed Internet (HSI), Networking, VDSL, and Fiber to Prem.
- Work with computer operating systems to install and/or repair home and/or small business standard HSI or networking products.
- Installs, maintains/repairs, and tests residential/small business telecommunication service (POTS and DSL).
- Analyzes and troubleshoots basic technical problems or issues.
- Reviews and discusses service order requirements and equipment requests with customers, evaluating customers’ telecommunication needs and suggesting additional/alternative service as appropriate.
- Connects wires and cables to terminals, and attaches/detaches various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings, and poles.
- Uses hand tools, power tools (air and electric), and specialty tools, including electric and electronic measuring devices (e.g., multi-meters, volt-ohm meters).
- Performs continuity and/or conformance testing.
- Reads and interprets customer service orders, repair tickets, technical (i.e., mechanical, electrical, digital) drawings, maps, blueprints, diagrams, etc. from supervisor or other designated employees and performs specified work.
- Works with telecom color-coded wires and cables.
Other Job Requirements:
- Selected candidate is required to remain in the position for a minimum of 30 months (Time in Title) and 18 months (Time in Location).
Basic Job Qualifications :
- At least six (6) months within the last 5 years installing, maintaining/repairing, and testing residential/small business broadband products such as; HSI, VDSL, or Fiber to Prem.
- At least six (6) months of experience within the last five years installing, maintaining/repairing, and testing residential/small business telecommunication service, both POTS and DSL.
- At least six (6) months of experience within the last five years connecting telecom color-coded wires and cables to terminals, attaching or detaching various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings and poles.
- Knowledge of basic electricity, as it relates to telecommunications (through classes or on-the-job training), which includes: knowledge related to the basic principles, theories, and applications of electricity (e.g., voltage, current, resistance, power, grounding, insulation, Ohm’s Law, AC/DC); knowledge of basic electrical components (e.g., conductors, insulators, switches, capacitors, inductors, transformers) and basic circuit design; and knowledge of the operation and application of common electrical components and common measurement instruments (e.g., multi-meters, oscilloscopes).
- Ability to read, review, interprets and understands technical documents (e.g., schematics, drawings, blueprints, layouts).
- Working knowledge of hand and power tools.
- Ability to use established electrical, digital, and/or mechanical principals and to perform appropriate tests to identify and solve problems encountered on the job.
- Ability to efficiently and accurately work with multiple types of information and/or perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to complete designated amount of work in a specified timeframe (e.g., quality jobs per day), adjusting work assignments or schedules to meet changing work-related priorities or demands.
- Ability to provide efficient, quality service to both internal and external customers both face-to-face and over-the-phone.
- Ability to work well with others to achieve common goals and to foster a cooperative climate, as well as to work independently in the field with little supervision.
- Ability to climb and work at elevations (e.g., from ladders, poles, lift trucks) exceeding 18 feet.
- Ability to work in confined spaces (e.g., attics, crawl spaces, utility holes).
- Ability to perform strenuous physical activities including, but not limited to: lifting objects weighing over 100 pounds. Employment may be contingent upon passage of the strength test.
- Ability to perform job activities outdoors in different weather conditions (e.g., extreme cold and/or heat, inclement weather).
- When working aloft, employee’s weight and tools combined may not exceed the 280-pound weight limit as specified by the manufacturer.
- A valid State driver’s license with a current satisfactory driving record.
- Ability to work varying shifts and hours including possible mandatory overtime, weekends and holidays.
PREFERRED Job Qualifications:
- At least 12 months experience within the last five years installing, repairing/maintaining, and testing residential/small business telecommunication service (POTS and DSL), including Design Services.
- At least twelve (12) months within the last 5 years installing, maintaining/repairing, and testing residential/small business broadband products such as; HSI, VDSL, Fiber to Prem., IPTV, and High Definition.
- Ability to recognize and identify sales opportunities that meet the needs of customers and the company, including promoting and closing sales of products and services.
- Prior experience working on a computer in a Windows-based system and with Microsoft Outlook.
- Working knowledge of test equipment (e.g., Tech Tad, Sidekick, volt-ohm meters, transmission measuring sets).
- Prior experience using a body belt and safety straps.
- Pole-climbing certification.
Other Job Requirements:
Selected candidate is required to remain in the position for a minimum of 30 months (Time in Title) and 18 months (Time in Location).
CenturyLink is an industry-leading provider of communications, high speed Internet and entertainment services from coast to coast. Our combination of business and residential service solutions – including home and wireless voice solutions and digital television – provide innovative solutions to our customers. CenturyLink is proud to be a participant in the U.S. General Services Administration Networx program, the largest communications services contract in the world. CenturyLink offers you the opportunity to develop and cultivate your career as we lead the communications industry into the future.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
CenturyLink - 21 months ago
CenturyLink is the third largest telecommunications company in the United States and is recognized as a leader in the network services...