WTAE-TV, the Hearst station in Pittsburgh is searching for an experienced investigative reporter to join an I-Team that has won national awards (IRE, Peabody) and is widely recognized as being one of the top TV investigative units in the U.S. The reporter we hire will be an aggressive self-starter who can handle turning investigative stories off the news of the day, as well as developing short- and long-term projects. A sophisticated knowledge of public records, including databases, is essential. The person we choose will work well with others as part of a team, and create compelling TV stories through writing, production values, stand-ups and aggressive questioning of investigative targets.
• Contributing investigative story ideas on a regular basis.
• Building a base of local news sources in order to generate stories.
• Producing quick-turn investigative stories for daily shows on an occasional basis while juggling deeper-dive long-term investigative projects as well as occasional follow-up stories.
• Utilizing computer assisted reporting skills.
• Submitting regular FOIA requests for public records at the federal, state and local levels.
• Possessing a working knowledge of federal and state laws regarding defamation, libel, use of hidden cameras, audio-recording conversations, etc.
• Participating in station-sponsored events both at the station and out in the community.
• Using the TV newsroom computer system to write and type scripts.
• Shooting look-lives and doing live shots for other Hearst and ABC affiliates.
• Filing stories for station website and utilizing social media.
• Work varied shifts – early mornings, holidays and weekends included.
• Drive station vehicles (Valid Driver’s License and Motor Vehicle Check required).
• Deal with the stresses and pressures of time-sensitive newscast production.
• Apply management feedback and critiques in order to improve on-air performance.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree preferred
• At least five years' experience reporting in a medium to large market and two years as an
To Apply: Send resume, tape or DVD, and cover letter to the Code: NIR-040813, c/o:
WTAE-TV 400 Ardmore Blvd. Pittsburgh, PA 15221 or email WTAE-TVjobs@hearst.com
Applicants must include source of referral. No phone calls, please!
Hearst Television Inc. - 8 months ago