Professional License Required
The Nurse Manager:
- assures the delivery of quality department /clinical services in accordance with established hospital and regulatory/accreditation agency standards.
- promotes a positive and professional image and is a role model, coach, mentor, problem solver and resource for staff and peers.
- is responsible and accountable for the overall operations of their assigned department. Overall operations of the department include development of department goals and objectives that are consistent with the hospital mission, the management of personnel, preparing/monitoring of and accountability for the department budgets.
- is responsible for management of FTE component of staffing budgets
- maintains 24 hour responsibility for nursing care provided on the unit
- collaborates with physicians and other members of the Health Care Team to assure the delivery of optimum age appropriate patient care
- provides hospital supervision as required by the Division of Nursing
- participates in the development of Standards of Practice for clinical area of responsibility
- assures employee compliance with hospital and Human Resources policies and procedures
- assures that employee competency and education requirements are satisfied as per hospital policy.
- as required, participates in the Performance Improvement Program as defined by the organization.
- attends Management/Leadership meetings as scheduled/required and communicates hospital policies, performance improvement initiatives and all other required information to their staff.
- is responsible for participation in committees, task forces and projects as appropriate.
- assures the provision of a safe employee/patient environment.
- maintains knowledge related to the operations of their department.
- works collaboratively with all levels of the hospital interdisciplinary team and promotes the team concept within their department and hospital wide.
- demonstrates positive customer service, fosters positive employee relations and assures that staff adhere to the Customer Service Behavioral Standards.
- is supportive of hospital initiatives and projects and functions as a positive change agent.
See below. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Develops and submits departmental goals and objectives as required by the Division Administrator.
2. Interviews, hires, evaluates, counsels and terminates employees as per hospital policy.
3. Schedules staff based on budgeted staffing plan and department needs.
4. Updates FTE component of staffing budgets on a continuous basis
5. Develops and submits operating and capital budgets and reports variances as required to the Division Administrator.
6. Assures compliance with state regulations and accreditation standards.
7. Assures completion of staff orientation, annual and ongoing competency and education requirements.
8. Provides house supervision as required by the Division of Nursing.
9. Attends and participates in educational programs or activities to maintain current level of knowledge or expertise to manage department.
10. Periodically provides direct patient care as needed.
11. Participates and assures department involvement in ongoing Performance Improvement initiative as required. Submits reports as required.
12. Develops standards of care, policies and procedures, etc. as needed for area of responsibility.
13. Attends Management/Leadership meetings as required.
14. Conducts staff meetings every other month to update staff and/or address department issues and records meeting minutes for all staff.
15. Utilizes multiple methodologies to communicate information.
16. Adheres to safety standards for employees and patients.
17. Participates in committees, task forces, projects, etc. as required.
18. Submits all other work reports as required/requested by the Division Administrator.
Education, Training, Licensure and Experience Requirements
Current NY State License
Demonstrates a basic knowledge of management skills
Previous management/leadership experience preferred
Minimum of 3 years relevant acute care experience preferred
Demonstrates excellence in clinical skills
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
White Plains Hospital - 2 years ago
White Plains Hospital is a voluntary, not-for-profit health care organization with the primary mission of offering high quality, acute...