The Nurse Apprentice performs patient care and non- patient care functions under the direction of a Registered Professional Nurse. Duties include but are not limited to: ADL’s, vital signs, I&O, documentation of vital signs and I & O, simple dressing changes, specimen collection, assisting with meals, errands, transporting of patients or specimens, ambulating of patients, urinary drainage care, applying binders and emptying of external tube drainage (suprapubic, sumps, nasogastric), weighing patients, assisting physicians with procedures and physical exams, and other duties as assigned.
· Performs tasks listed in job summary according to policy & procedure and standards.
· Integrates patient’s rights into work practice.
· Adheres to infection control standards to decrease the risk of nosocomial infections to patients and staff.
· Participates in Performance Improvement initiatives including data collection.
· Utilizes appropriate steps in the decision making process to include recognition and priority setting related to patient care and unit based issues.
· Collaborates and communicates with the health care team.
· Completes competency requirements.
· Attends mandatory inservices.
· Attends staff meetings as required/ requested.
· Utilizes cost containment practices.
· Adheres to all WPH standards of care, policies and procedures including dress code, code of conduct, behavioral standards, completion of annual mandatory education and completion of annual health assessment.
· Rounds on patients utilizing Studer principles
· Completes a “ Case Study” project ( 2nd year and above apprentices only ) utilizing evidenced based practice as the foundation
· Performs other duties as assigned
Education, Training, Licensure and Experience Requirements
· Currently attending high school (junior and senior students) or enrolled in an accredited school of nursing (but have not yet started their clinical rotations)
· Two letters of recommendation and an essay describing “Why the candidate should be awarded the Apprenticeship”
· Personal interview with both Coordinators of the Nurse Apprentice Program
· GPA of 3.0 – B+ preferred
· Successful completion of the Nurse Apprentice Program Orientation
White Plains Hospital - 2 years ago
White Plains Hospital is a voluntary, not-for-profit health care organization with the primary mission of offering high quality, acute...