The Nurse Apprentice performs patient care and non- patient care functions under the direction of a Registered Professional Nurse. Duties include but are not limited to: ADL’s, vital signs, I&O, performing EKGs, documentation of vital signs and I & O, simple dressing changes, specimen collection, assisting with meals, errands, transporting of patients or specimens, ambulating of patients, urinary drainage care, applying binders and emptying of external tube drainage (suprapubic, sumps, nasogastric), insertion of foley catheters, performing peripheral phlebotomy , weighing patients, assisting physicians with procedures and physical exams, data collection, glucoscans, and other duties as assigned.
Education, Training, Licensure and Experience Requirements
- Performs tasks listed in job summary according to policy & procedure and standards.
- Integrates patient’s rights into work practice.
- Adheres to infection control standards to decrease the risk of nosocomial infections to patients and staff.
- Participates in Performance Improvement initiatives including data collection.
- Utilizes appropriate steps in the decision making process to include recognition and priority setting related to patient care and unit based issues.
- Collaborates and communicates with the health care team.
- Completes competency requirements.
- Attends mandatory inservices.
- Attends staff meetings as required/ requested.
- Utilizes cost containment practices.
- Accurately utilizes the computer system for documentation.
- Adheres to all WPHC standards of care, policies and procedures including dress code, code of conduct, behavioral standards, completion of annual mandatory education and completion of annual health assessment.
- Rounds on patients utilizing Studer principles
- Completes a unit based project utilizing evidenced based practice as the foundation
- Performs other duties as assigned
completion of a minimum of 200 clinical hours in the WPHC Nursing Apprentice Program- a letter of recommendation is required from the Director of the Nursing Apprentice Program
- Currently enrolled in an accredited RN school of nursing
- Successful completion of at least one nursing clinical rotation in the accredited school or
- EKG I (Critical Care Division) within 6 months of hire
White Plains Hospital - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard
White Plains Hospital is a voluntary, not-for-profit health care organization with the primary mission of offering high quality, acute...