*** Position will function as Bird Keeper/ Trainer/Husbandry Staff for the North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores ***
This position reports directly to the Husbandry Curator and is responsible for the daily care of all animals in the assigned display(s), holding and quarantine systems as well as the aesthetics of the display(s). Primary duties include:
- Determining individual animal nutritional needs, securing, preparing and feeding all animals under your care.
- This position would work in conjunction with our Education/Bird Team, which have the primary responsibilities of maintaining our current avian collection.
- Recognizing symptoms of disease and poor animal health, and administering appropriate treatments.
- Acts as liaison to Curator and Veterinary staff
- Maintaining accurate databases and daily logs.
- Designing and creating new exhibits.
- Working with the Animal Enrichment Team to develop and implement new enrichment items and activities.
- Presenting educational programs to the public, including summer flighted bird show
- Acquiring and collecting new animals for display.
- Weekend, evening and holiday work will be a major responsibility of this position
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies:
Demonstrated experience of avian husbandry, including raptors, at a zoo, aquarium, museum or nature center. Demonstrated experience working with captive animals at a zoo, aquarium, museum or nature center. Demonstrated experience presenting educational programs with live birds. Demonstrated experience of aquatic husbandry.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
Graduation from a four-year college or university with a major in Biology, Zoology, Botany or other natural science curriculum related to the area of assignment and one year of experience in a natural science field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Supplemental and Contact Information:
To apply for this position, please click APPLY link above.
To receive credit, all experience must be included in the work history sections. See attached resume will result in an incomplete application. Any information omitted from this application, but included in the resume, will not be considered for qualifying credit.
Persons eligible for Veteran's preference must submit a copy of Form DD-214.
DENR uses the Merit-Based Recruitment and Selection Plan to fill positions subject to the State Personnel Act with the most qualified applicants. When a salary range is posted, the actual salary will be based on relevant competencies, knowledge, skills and abilities, internal equity and budgetary considerations pertinent to the advertised position. The State of North Carolina is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For additional information, please contact:
North Carolina Aquariums Division
(919) 877-5500, ext. 228
North Carolina Office of State Human Resources - 18 months ago