The NetBackup Engineer will work within a team of Systems Engineers supporting a large and complex backup, storage and virtualization hosting environment for Sage – North America.
The team is responsible for the architecture, design, implementation and integration of the storage and virtualization services for the enterprise. NetBackup specialist will proactively engage stakeholders and internal teams that interface with the hosting environment (Networking, Application Owners, Corporate IT, Security, Windows Engineering, etc.) to develop plans for strategic and near term solutions.
The Engineer provides project-based engineering and high level support of backup, storage and virtualization systems for a global user base where quality control is paramount. The engineer will participate in day-to-day operations of the environment, ensuring that effective monitoring and pro-active management tasks are performed regularly.
Under limited supervision, this individual will help create and reinforce best practices for storage management and virtualization initiatives.
The ideal candidate should be competent to work at a high technical level during all phases of implementation and able to support the solution through transitions.
24x7 on-call support will be required (although calls outside regular work hours will be minimal) using a rotation schedule with teammates.
- Administration of backup, storage and virtualization environments
- Maintain system backups and recovery processes
- Work within team of Engineers to design and implement storage and virtualization infrastructure for enterprise
- Establish demand, capacity and configuration management practices for hosting infrastructure
- Provide timely resolution to complex technical system issues including working with vendors on issues that cannot be resolved immediately
- Provide on-site and remote technical assistance to business units, with installation, upgrades and troubleshooting support
- Assist the operational teams with root cause analysis and solutions to moderately complex, to complex production issues
- Identify potential issues in the production environment and help recommend potential solutions
- Recommend changes in development, maintenance and systems standards, and train users and support personnel on the conversion and implementation of the system
- Document technical environments, processes, procedures, test plans, and project plans
- Receive and respond to incoming calls, texts, and/or emails regarding service problems
- Analyze, diagnosis, and resolution of complex service problems for a variety of end users, and recommend and implement corrective hardware and software solutions, including off-site repair
- Aid in development of business continuity and disaster recovery plans, and maintain current knowledge of plan executables. Respond to emergency outages in accordance with business continuity and disaster recovery plans
- Ensures that security procedures are implemented and enforced
- Maintain hardware and software inventories as required
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with service users, service providers, and the IS staff
- Remains current on company-wide system enhancements of software, hardware, networking, and data communications
- 3+ years Enterprise IT experience with a broad background of technologies and skills working within a data center environment.
- Must have 2-3 years NetBackup experience with knowledge of enterprise class backup/recovery solutions
- 2+ years virtualization experience, preferably VMware virtualization technologies (ESX, View, SRM, vCloud)
- 2+ years Physical server technologies (preferably Cisco UCS)
- 2+ years storage technology experience with experience with or working knowledge of Enterprise class storage arrays and deduplication solutions (EMC, Data Domain, NetApp)
- A working knowledge of storage replication technologies and storage fabric technologies (Brocade)
- Experience creating and adhering to Service/Operating Level Agreements, systems procedural documentation and design
- Prior experience working in a medium to large environment (greater than 5 locations and 500 employees) a plus but not required
- Understanding of private, hybrid and public cloud technologies
- Experience relating business requirements to system and infrastructure components
- Ability to create and maintain high-level and detailed infrastructure documentation and diagrams
- Ability to communicate complex technology concepts to a broad range of technical and non-technical staff both verbally and in writing to include both technical and business-based rationales
- Strong problem solving and reasoning skills
- Ability to gracefully handle many simultaneous projects and requests
- Bachelor's degree preferred
Sage - 14 months ago
With over 30 years of experience and 6 million customers worldwide, we know a thing or two about helping small and medium-sized businesses...