Responsible for managing and maintaining the College Local Area Network (LAN) environment, making sure Email and other network applications/data is delivered to end-users and interacting properly with Wide Area Networks (WANs).
1. Installs, configures, and maintains interoperability of hardware and software for LAN, WAN and servers utilizing various OS including, but not limited to: Windows, Linux, and Unix.
2. Assists in the recommendation for purchase of LAN, WAN, PC, and server hardware and software.
3. Writes network programs to produce designated output, and creates backend scripts for the website.
4. Implements and maintains virus protection for LAN and WAN.
5. Responsible for creation, changes, restoration of VMware-ESX virtual server environment.
6. Creates and maintains network user and e- mail accounts, .
7. Develops and maintains diagrams, forms, and procedural documentation as required for server, network, and security support.
8. Provides Help Desk support for advanced network/computer issues.
9. Provide back-up support for Network Administrator duties including back-up and recovery programs and procedures for all critical data.
10. Maintains a high level of confidentiality.
11. Works independently and utilizes excellent troubleshooting skills.
12. Performs other duties as assigned consistent with the role of this position.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
Employee is subject to indoor work, protected from weather conditions. Physical activities include repetitive motion and exerting up to 50 lbs of force frequently in order to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. The job requires manual dexterity.
Information Technology Resources
Status of Position:
1. Associate's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent college coursework.
2. Four years of job-related administrative experience with Microsoft Windows networks, including two years of experience with Microsoft Active Directory and one year of experience with Microsoft Internet Information Services.
3. One year of experience with configuring and maintaining a VMWare virtualized server environment, utilizing HP servers.
4. Working knowledge of integrating microcomputer software into the network environment, including but not limited to: word processing, spreadsheets, databases and utilities.
5. Demonstrated ability to work independently after initial instructions with high degree of accuracy.
6. Ability to work well with others in a team oriented environment.
7. Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
8. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
9. Possess and demonstrate excellent LAN/WAN troubleshooting skills.
1. Additional experience working with AIX Unix, Linux (including PHP and Tomcat), and other network operating systems.
2. A+ Certification.
3. Experience working with Microsoft Window Server Update Services.
4. Experience working with Storage Area Network technology.
5. Experience with basic administration of Microsoft Exchange.
6. Bachelor's degree in Information Systems or Computer Science.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
Prairie State College - 23 months ago