Harvard Medical School Information Technology is seeking a Network Architect to lead the design, implementation, monitoring and ongoing maintenance for all aspects of the HMS enterprise network. Position will provide a wide variety of technical services for the HMS enterprise network backbone to include, but not limited to, technical project management, consulting, network security analysis, and network management. Individual will work both independently and in a team environment and provide
leadership and mentoring to other technical staff.
• Participate in the architecture, design, implementation and maintenance of the network to meet institutional needs.
• Configure, maintain, install and troubleshoot data center switching equipment, core and border routing equipment, edge switch gear, network security, performance monitoring and network management systems. Evaluate and recommend hardware and software solutions.
• Troubleshoot complex network-related problems that have a significant impact, utilizing network analysis tools and utilities as appropriate. Plan and coordinate local and remote service outages and subsequent restoration with telecommunication providers, Infrastructure, network, and end user community as required.
• Create, maintain and review all network documentation. Create and review network standards, procedures and policies for installation and support of networking services.
• Provide technical guidance and assistance to network engineers, desktop and helpdesk staff, and other departments as required. Function as a technical expert or project lead for network services projects.
• Review and discuss network requests and facilitate network requirement definitions with customers. Lead discussions with current and potential vendors.
• Assist in budget development and provide project estimates in terms of cost, time and resources.
• Keep abreast of trends and technical development in the field by utilizing self-study materials, seminars, courses and conferences.
• Perform other duties as delegated in support of overall HMS IT activities.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Extensive experience including 5-7 years with the design, implementation, monitoring and on-going maintenance of communication networks and data communications hardware and software in a mixed protocol environment.
Experience with Cisco routers and switches, both IOS and NXOS, and firewalls; In depth knowledge of routing protocols (OSPF and BGP) and switching technologies (MPLS/VPLS); Extensive experience with Network Management systems, Quality of Service, DNS, and DHCP; Ability to work some after-hours maintenance and participate in a 24x7 on-call rotation; Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Cisco Certification is highly desirable: CCNP/CCIE.