Posting Job Title: Network Engineer III Optical Transport
Requisition #: 143441BR
Posting Location: San Antonio, TX, US
Area of Interest: Engineering/Technical Operations
Position Type: Full Time
Posting Job Description
PO SITION SUMMARY:
The Network Engineer 3 Optical Transport will be responsible for designing, deploying, and managing the LAN/WAN network infrastructure; ensuring the stability, fault tolerance, and scalability of the network. This position will specialize in the design, implementation, and support of optical networks and ROADM/OTN transport systems.
A high level of competence in LAN/WAN technologies will be required; this includes routing and switching as well as optical networking.
Represents the Engineering Department, working closely with regional Architects and Engineers in designing, modeling, and implementing new technologies within the Market. Performs moves, adds, and changes to equipment and systems, specifically following the designated change management policies.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Develop innovative solutions, maintain network monitoring and management tools, and document procedures.
- Configure, service, and support network equipment, both active and passive, in the core and edge network.
- Troubleshoots and resolves critical network and system issues.
- Project management ¬ document project requirements including scope, costs, schedule, testing and terms of delivery to ensure project is completed with highest level of quality, on time, and within budget.
- Mentors and trains other Engineering personnel in key elements of networking systems and provide technical presentations to instruct co-workers and other production services support individuals.
- Research and identify technology opportunities and their application to the business.
- Test and validate all new hardware and connections for proper configuration and performance.
- As part of an on-call/standby rotation, respond to after hours call-out for service restoration, troubleshooting, network testing and repair of all necessary equipment.
- Track all equipment RMA's and ensure that proper levels of spare inventory are maintained.
establishing priorities, anticipating and avoiding problems, monitoring and managing task completion;
- 4-year degree in Computer Science, Information Systems/Technology or equivalent job experience.
- 5+ years experience designing large network solutions; experience with WAN technologies is preferred.
- Expert knowledge of DWDM, SONET, ROADM, and fiber optic characteristics; experience with Cisco, Ciena/Nortel, or Infinera or Juniper preferred.
- Extensive knowledge and hands-on experience of LAN, WAN, and telecommunication equipment.
- Understanding of all OSI layers from application to physical, knowledge of BGP, IS-IS, OSPF, PIM, MPLS, and RIP.
- Must have the ability to lead meetings, facilitate understanding and agreement, and lead network deployments.
- Must be able to function effectively and collaboratively in a team environment to accomplish team goals.
- Must have demonstrated experience utilizing structured change and project management methodologies.
- Must be able to perform project management functions, such as developing logical and efficient project plans,
providing guidance and training to team members as needed.
Candidate should have in-depth understanding of:
- Experience developing disaster recovery and business continuation plans preferred.
- Networking Protocols (IPv4, IPv6...)
- Routing Protocols (BGP, IS-IS, OSPF, PIM, MPLS, RIP- )
- Optical Networking (DWDM, ROADM- )
- Hybrid Fiber Coax and DOCSIS Technologies
- Security Technologies
- Traffic Engineering/Modeling
- Data Analysis/Modeling
Travel 15 %
FCC Unit_TWC: 5675
Controlling Establishment ID: 00131 - San Antonio Blue Crest
More on TWC:
Time Warner Cable provides generous benefits. Health care and retirement benefits are significant portions of the total compensation package at TWC, and we invest more in those benefits than most employers. In addition, we offer tuition reimbursement, adoption assistance, competitive paid-time-off programs, work-life resources, and discounted pricing on TWC residential products and services for employees within our footprint. Our hope is that, by providing our employees with rich and flexible benefits, we can help them take care of the people who matter most – at work and at home.
Time Warner Cable is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.
Time Warner Cable - 17 months ago
Time Warner Cable (TWC) makes coaxial quiver. The company is the #2 US cable company, after Comcast, with operations in 28 states. Its core...