The network engineer is responsible for installing, maintaining and supporting computer communication networks within company and its subsidiaries. Their goal is to ensure the smooth operation of communication networks in order to provide maximum performance and availability of data for our users. The Network Engineer's role is to ensure the stability and integrity of in-house voice, data, video and wireless network services. This is achieved by planning, designing, and developing local area networks (LANs) and wide area networks (WANs) across the organization. In addition, the Network Engineer will participate with the installation, monitoring, maintenance, support, and optimization of all network hardware, software, and communication links. This individual will also analyze and resolve network hardware and software problems in a timely and accurate fashion, and provide end user training where required. This position reports to the IT Infrastructure Manager.
Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Installs local area networks including network servers, hubs, routers, and switches.
- Installs or modifies existing installations of networked computer hardware, software, and other components.
- Operates and maintains local area networks, tracks significant problems, monitors performance, and performs upgrades to hardware and software as required.
- Troubleshooting and repairing hardware and network connectivity issues.
- Provide performance metric based reports to IT management and make recommendations regularly.
- Undertaking routine preventative measures and implementing, maintaining and monitoring network security.
- This position is responsible for web and internet security and relates to the above bullet point.
- Analyzing and making recommendations for hardware and software standardization.
- Maintain an inventory of installed software/hardware.
- Learn fundamental operations of commonly used software, hardware, and other equipment.
- Become familiar with available help resources; stay updated on company technology changes or problems.
- Become familiar with company policies, services, and staff.
- Maintain reasonable decorum in the IT areas.
- Participates in long and short range technology planning.
- Trains technical staff at the building level to follow proper operating procedures necessary to maintain the integrity of the network.
- Maintains documentation regarding network configuration, operating procedures, and service records relating to network hardware and software.
- Assists in developing and providing training to building level faculty and staff in the proper operation of the local area network.
- Attends classes, seminars, conferences and reviews professional literature to enhance knowledge of trends and developments related to local area network systems.
- Use any free time to fulfill the above duties and to do self-training in the development of your knowledge and skills.
- Manage and maintain our AT&T MPLS. Includes working directly with AT&T in all aspects of this network for our company.
- Other duties as assigned by IT management.
Experience and/or Educational Requirements:
- CCNA, CCNP (this is a good indicator of experience with general networking but not a requirement for Cisco specifically)
- MCSE/MCSA certifications preferred.
- Demonstrated ability in advanced connectivity troubleshooting, planning, implementation.
- Demonstrated ability with hands-on SonicWall experience. (or other firewall technologies)
- Demonstrated ability with hands-on WAN experience. Specifically MPLS-PNT.
- Demonstrated ability with hands-on Web/Internet Security experience.
- 4 year College Degree in IT/MIS or equivalent. Military experience is recognized.
- At least 5 years in LAN/WAN Networking. All aspects.
- Should have extensive experience with network support and design, software applications, operating systems and network connectivity.
- Strong knowledge of local area network architecture.
- Strong knowledge of computers and related technologies.
- Strong knowledge of infrastructure requirements and components of local area networks.
- Strong knowledge of network operating systems.
- Considerable knowledge of local area network protocols and diagnostic tools.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of technology users.
- Friendly presence and helpful attitude; good interpersonal skills and ability to work well with others.
- Good problem solving skills; ability to visualize a problem or situation and think abstractly to solve technical issues. Be proactive in anticipating and resolving problems while maximizing efficient use of computing resources.
- Ability to handle constantly changing flow of traffic; remain productive during slow times, be able to multitask effectively during busy times, exercise patience and professionalism during stressful situations.
- Ability to work responsibly with or without direct supervision.
- The ability to communicate clearly in English both in person and over the telephone is necessary.
- Periodic weekend and off-hours support requirements are necessary
- May be required to travel to remote sites to assist with integration projects
- No relocation is available for this position
RSA Corp was founded in 1980 as Robert Shields & Associates, a search and staffing firm serving the greater Houston and Galveston areas....