This is a highly technical position within the Department of Administrative Services/Information Technology, but assigned to the Bureau of Police.
The employee is responsible for administrating the Bureau of Police computer network, other City networks and personal computers, as well as a variety of specific police technologies. The employee is responsible for applying software, correcting problems, making enhancements, and maintaining the computer systems and all police technology equipment. This includes mobile data terminals, in-car camera systems, digital video recording and interview equipment, jail section and surveillance video system, crime mapping software/hardware, multi media equipment, license plate readers, Bureau Intranet and Internet web sites, evidence software, telephone system, and wireless/cellular systems. The employee must work closely with vendors, other City IT staff, and County IT staff to correct and solve problems in a timely manner.
In addition, this position provides assistance to police and civilian users in the operation of both hardware and software to include training in the use of the software packages and hardware.
This position is supervised by the Administrative Services Lieutenant and Captain, but falls within the organizational structure of the Department of Administrative Services. The position requires the employee to be available for “call-in” related to after-hours support and work different rotating shifts. “On-call” compensation is provided.
Principle Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinate, implement, troubleshoot, and maintain all Bureau hardware, and software.
- Liaison between Bureau of Police, City IT, and County IT.
- Coordinate and carry out user training.
- Implement and maintain network anti-virus and security systems.
- Troubleshoot and correct local area network, hardware, and software connectivity problems
- Maintain and inventory, hardware, software, manuals, software licenses, and IT related records.
- Work closely with vendors, City IT staff, and County IT staff to correct and solve problems encountered on the Police network.
- Maintain, troubleshoot, and use all audiovisual systems.
- Maintain records as required.
- Create and maintain specialized Word and Excel Documents
- Create and maintain internal Intranet and external Website
- Create scripts, programs and databases to enhance to work of the department
- Provide graphics support as necessary
- Prepare for and develop short term and strategic technology needs of the Bureau.
- Install, maintain, and trouble shoot, correct, and operate all Mobile Data Terminals (MDT).
- Maintain and extend as necessary network backbone, including routers, switches, and wiring.
- Maintain phone system software and hardware, including switch programming, Call Pilot system, and hardware infrastructure for Nortel PBX system.
- Maintain and troubleshoot DocStar Imaging system.
- Maintain and troubleshoot CODY RMS system.
- Maintain, troubleshoot, correct, and operate Bosch Divar XF surveillance cameras and DVR system.
- Maintain, troubleshoot, correct, and operate Interview room iRecord and related software and systems.
- Maintain, troubleshoot, correct, and operate ELSAG License Plate Reader technologies and related hardware/software; and integrate use within other City initiatives.
- Maintain and troubleshoot Bureau printers, copiers and fax equipment.
- Maintain, troubleshoot, correct, and operate BEAST evidence storage software and hardware.
- Maintain City Police Helpdesk (Spiceworks) software.
- Assist sworn officers with collection of evidentiary video offsite and at crime scenes.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong customer care, interpersonal, organizational, written and verbal communication are essential skills.
- Proven problem solving and troubleshooting abilities with hardware components and software applications
- Knowledge and ability to manage maintain and support Microsoft Desktop software - MS Office (including Access/Excel/Word/PowerPoint/Outlook 2007), Windows XP and Windows 7.
- Knowledge and ability to manage, maintain, and support Microsoft Windows 2008R2 Server Active Directory, including Group Policies, user and object security, and server-managed Windows Update.
- Knowledge and ability to manage, maintain, and support virtual servers (ESXi 5)
- Knowledge and ability to manage, maintain, and support related network hardware/software (printers, copiers, fax, digital cameras, and scanners).
- Knowledge and ability to manage, maintain and support network infrastructure (hubs, switches, routers, premise wiring),
- Knowledge and ability to manage maintain and support phone system hardware and software.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to perform tasks related to cellular data, (LTE/HSPA/HSDPA/GSM/GPRS/WiMAX).
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to perform tasks associated with multiple video and image formats and codecs.
- Satisfactory passing of drug screening, background investigation, polygraph, and meet all requirements of the Criminal History Records Act, Chapter 91 of the Pennsylvania Crimes Code is required.
- A current and valid Pennsylvania motor vehicle driver’s license.
- Proven ability to read, write, speak and comprehend English is required.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team and to collaborate successfully with others is required.
- Proven ability to adapt to new or changed situations and to show flexibility in making improvements in work processes and operations is required.
- Proven ability to exhibit customer-centered behaviors and to focus on customer needs is required.
- Proven ability to commit to excellence in service and to continuous improvement is required.
Education, Training and Experience
- Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, or related field, and a minimum three (3) years experience in the Information Technology field or Associate’s Degree in Computer Science, or related field, and a minimum five (5) years experience in Information Technology field.
- Experience in a Computer Technician or Technical Support environment is strongly desirable; or equivalent combination of acceptable training and applicable demonstrated experience.
- Certification in courses pertaining to Microsoft Windows Server with two (2) years of experience in working with networks and Windows Operating Systems, Comptia A+ and/or other applicable certifications is preferred.
Licenses and Certificates
- Possession of a valid Pennsylvania State Driver’s License is required.
Schedule: Monday-Friday - 1 week of night work and 3 weeks of day work per month; also on-call is required and hours will vary
Full-time with generous benefits package.
Indeed - 2 years ago