Function: Cable Repair / Maintenance
Classification: Regular Full-Time employees are scheduled to work at least forty (40) hours per calendar week for an indefinite period of time.
Wage Scale: 2
Location: Red Oak, IA
Basic Job Qualifications for INTERNAL Candidates:
- Internal Candidates must meet Time in Title/Location requirements of their current position for consideration.
- Maintains/repairs and tests copper cable and/or fiber optic cable in an underground, aerial, or buried environment.
- Troubleshoots problems that will require cable repair, cable maintenance, air pressure, splicing, faultfinding, etc.
- Makes splicing rearrangements on existing facilities in buried, underground, aerial and building work locations.
- Uses heavy-duty power equipment (e.g., compressors, pumps, blowers), hand tools, power tools (air and electric), and specialty tools, including electric and electronic measuring devices (e.g., multi-meters, volt-ohm meters), in the construction and repair of outside plant facilities.
- Performs testing and turn-up of subscriber lines, carrier plant, and/or fiber optic plant.
- Locates and repairs air leaks in aerial, underground, and/or buried cable.
- Locates, joins, repairs and rearranges cable and cable conductors in buildings and aerial or buried plant.
- Initiates or performs cable cuts, transfer projects, and/or load balance cuts, and issues necessary cuts to prevent blocking.
- Installs, maintains/repairs, and tests residential/small business telecommunication service (POTS and DSL).
- Connects wires and cables to terminals, and attaches/detaches various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings, and poles.
- Performs continuity and/or conformance testing.
- Reads and interprets customer service orders, technical (i.e., mechanical, electrical, digital) drawings, maps, blueprints, diagrams, etc.
- Receives service orders, worksheets (detailed diagrams describing nature and location of equipment to be installed or repaired) and repair tickets from supervisor or other designated employees and performs specified work.
- Works with telecom color-coded wires and cables.
Basic Job Qualifications:
- Knowledge of basic electricity, as it relates to telecommunications (through classes or on-the-job training), which includes: knowledge related to the basic principles, theories, and applications of electricity (e.g., voltage, current, resistance, power, grounding, insulation, Ohm’s Law, AC/DC); knowledge of basic electrical components (e.g., conductors, insulators, switches, capacitors, inductors, transformers) and basic circuit design; and knowledge of the operation and application of common electrical components and common measurement instruments (e.g., multi-meters, etc.).
- Working knowledge of test equipment (e.g., Tech Tad, Sidekick, 965DSP, transmission measuring sets).
- Ability to use established electrical, digital, and/or mechanical principals and to perform appropriate tests to identify and solve problems encountered on the job.
- Ability to efficiently and accurately work with multiple types of information and/or perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to complete designated amount of work in a specified timeframe (e.g., quality jobs per day), adjusting work assignments or schedules to meet changing work-related priorities or demands.
- Ability to provide efficient, quality service to both internal and external customers both face-to-face and over-the-phone.
- Ability to work well with others to achieve common goals and to foster a cooperative climate, as well as to work independently in the field with little supervision.
- Ability to climb and work at elevations (e.g., from ladders, poles, lift trucks) exceeding 18 feet.
- Ability to work in confined spaces (e.g., attics, crawl spaces, utility holes).
- Ability to perform strenuous physical activities including, but not limited to: lifting objects weighing over 100 pounds.
- Ability to perform job activities outdoors in different weather conditions (e.g., extreme cold and/or heat, inclement weather).
- A valid State driver’s license with a current satisfactory driving record.
- Ability to work varying shifts and hours including possible mandatory overtime, weekends and holidays.
PREFERRED Job Qualifications:
At least six (6) months of experience within the last five years maintaining/repairing and testing copper cable and/or fiber optic cable in an underground, aerial, or buried environment.
At least six (6) months of experience within the last five years connecting telecom color-coded wires and cables to terminals, attaching or detaching various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings and poles.
- At least 12 months experience within the last five years maintaining/repairing and testing copper and/or fiber optic cable in an underground, aerial, or buried environment.
- At least 12 months of experience within the last five years connecting telecom color-coded wires and cables to terminals, attaching or detaching various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings and poles.
- General experience in testing and turning up DSL, and Carrier Systems.
- Ability to read, review, interpret and understand technical documents (e.g., schematics, drawings, blueprints, layouts).
- Prior Customer Service experience.
- Ability to recognize and identify sales opportunities that meet the needs of customers and the company, including promoting and closing sales of products and services.
- Prior experience working on a computer in a Windows-based system and with Microsoft Outlook.
- Prior experience using a body belt and safety straps.
- Pole-climbing certification.
CenturyLink is an industry-leading provider of communications, high speed Internet and entertainment services from coast to coast. Our combination of business and residential service solutions – including home and wireless voice solutions and digital television – provide innovative solutions to our customers. CenturyLink is proud to be a participant in the U.S. General Services Administration Networx program, the largest communications services contract in the world. CenturyLink offers you the opportunity to develop and cultivate your career as we lead the communications industry into the future.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
CenturyLink - 11 months ago
CenturyLink is the third largest telecommunications company in the United States and is recognized as a leader in the network services...