The Network Technician will repair and maintain central office, private line, special circuits, pair gains and associated equipment. The technician will maintain span line and jumper-running activity to support service requirements and perform associated duties. Attendance, conduct and performance will be considered in the selection process.
Note: Job bids and selection will be administered under mutually agreed upon guidelines of the local labor agreement.
- Must have two (2) years experience working with central office switching equipment, special circuits, pair gains, and/or private line testing
- Training or equivalent work experience in basic electricity, basic electronics, and data transmission.
- Ability to maneuver and climb ladders, work aloft and lift a minimum of 75 lbs.
- Ability to work below ground in close quarters in a controlled environmental vault (CEV)
- Proficient PC skills to include use of Microsoft products, electronic mail, keyboard commands and ability to navigate the Internet
- Ability to visually identify all colors used in telephone cable
- Demonstrated analytical problem solving skills
- Ability to successfully communicate with customers
- Ability to work alone on critical problems (often occurs during night hours).
- Ability to work flexible shifts, weekends, overtime, call-outs and stand-by
- Working knowledge of DMS and/or 5ESS switches.
- Working knowledge of Tellabs 532 DACS, Alcatel 1631 DACS, Cisco routers, Redback networks, Adtran 2800 & 2820 Mux, Nortel and AT&T channel banks
- Possession of a valid State driver’s license and an acceptable driving record.
- Working knowledge of wiring, testing, turnup, and troubleshooting special circuits (DS1, DS3, ISDN, PRI, & Ethernet) using test equipment (Halcyon, TPI, T-Berd, Acterna), mux optioning, Channel Banks, and CMTs.
- Outside plant operations or equivalent technical experience.
- Working knowledge of company legacy systems (Access Care, CIRAS, ARBS, TTI, CLAS, Procom Plus & NOSA, Ciena, AFC, Calix, Marconi DISC*S & ALU7750)
- Working knowledge of radio systems and fiber equipment (Alcatel, Nortel, Adtran)
- Working knowledge turning up and troubleshooting T1s, HDSL, Mux Optioning, channel banks and CMTs
- Working knowledge of LAN/WAN, routers, and data networking products.
- Certifications such as MCP and CCNA/P
CenturyLink is an industry-leading provider of communications, high speed Internet and entertainment services from coast to coast. Our combination of business and residential service solutions – including home and wireless voice solutions and digital television – provide innovative solutions to our customers. CenturyLink is proud to be a participant in the U.S. General Services Administration Networx program, the largest communications services contract in the world. CenturyLink offers you the opportunity to develop and cultivate your career as we lead the communications industry into the future.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
CenturyLink - 19 months ago
CenturyLink is the third largest telecommunications company in the United States and is recognized as a leader in the network services...