The New Product Introduction (NPI) Engineer is charged with providing technical leadership, support and direction for new product designs intended to be transitioned into Operations from Engineering. Fundamentally, the NPI Engineer ensures new designs have sufficient margin and are capable of being produced in the required volumes, at the required cost and in the required timeframe. Focusing on affordability and producibility activities early in the design process, the NPI Engineer will help increase the design process velocity. The NPI Engineer will also drive technology trends into our factories to maximize design flexibility, increase manufacturing capability and lower production costs. The NPI Engineer will be a valued member of program Integrated Product Teams (IPT’s) and will be expected to work closely with Program Office, Engineering, Operations, and our key suppliers. Core responsibilities include:
1. Provide technical support to Engineering and key suppliers by influencing the design approach, schedule, budget, trade studies and analysis required for LPD.
2. Drive producible product architecture early in the product life cycle providing a “Left Shift” mentality to engage Design for Manufacturing and Maintainability (DFM2) and Design for Test (DFT), IPC compliance and LPD Framework.
3. Work directly with Engineering to implement DSSM (Design for Six Sigma Manufacturing).
4. Promote a defined understanding of stable system requirements early in the life cycle.
5. Collaborate on Make/Buy decisions consistent with the Manufacturing Realization Strategy and Factory Capability Matrix.
6. Ensure preferred part and supplier selection alignment with supply chain strategy.
7. Promote the use of design guidelines during product development.
8. Utilize Design to Cost (DTC) based on a Price-to-Win as a methodology to drive designs to converge on cost instead of allowing cost to converge on design.
9. Understand design margins and predict factory and supplier yields through CpK analysis.
10. Provide a primary point of contact between Engineering and Operations for resolving technical problems and for providing rapid prototyping technical support.
11. Perform other related duties, as required. Required Education:
Bachelors and 12+ year(s) related experience Required Experience:
Bachelor's degree in an Engineeering or Scientific field or equivalent experience,Employees in California must have a Bachelor’s degree in the applicable field, or an applicable certification, equivalent certificate or any required license. Equivalent experience will not be considered. Required Skills:
This position will support New Product Introduction activities in the ECS business area.
BAE Systems is the premier trans-Atlantic defense and aerospace company, delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and...