New York City Bike Ambassador, Leads
Two Hourly Positions available, 35-40 hours/week
Transportation Alternatives (T.A.) seeks experienced, outgoing, team-oriented community organizers to join the organization as hourly leads for our central safe bicycling advocacy campaign, the New York City Bike Ambassador program.
The New York City Bike Ambassadors work on the ground to organize and engage New Yorkers around safer streets. We are seeking knowledgeable and dedicated organizers who are familiar with New York City, and are passionate about working with others to improve the city’s streets in all five boroughs. The Leads will report to T.A.’s Field Organizing Coordinator and will work with T.A. staff to plan, prepare for and attend outreach events around New York City. In the field, the Leads will run on-site outreach operations and will set the tone for a productive and engaging work environment for a team of ambassadors and volunteer activists. At the beginning of the program, the Leads will undergo training about Transportation Alternatives’ advocacy campaigns and New York City government and policy as a means to prepare for work in the field.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Plan, prepare for and conduct bike safety outreach around borough-specific campaigns
- Engage bike share users citywide in support of T.A.’s mission
- Be an outgoing and articulate model for safe and responsible bike riding in New York City
- Build relationships with community-based organizations to foster support for bicycling, bike lanes and increased bicycle ridership on a neighborhood level
- Manage and distribute bike safety equipment and materials
- Oversee site- specific field operations
- Fervent desire to make bicycling and walking safer in New York City
- Ability to work in a team environment to meet deadlines and accomplish common goals
- A genuine love of their borough and New York City
- Experience in community organizing and strong public speaking skills a plus
- Fluent Spanish and/or Chinese speaking and writing skills are a plus
- Position requires a flexible schedule, including early mornings, nights and weekends
- Work takes place mostly outdoors, candidates must be comfortable working outside
- Commitment to making New York City a better place to bike, walk and use public transit
- Commitment to organizing people to achieve change
- A good sense of humor
$15/hour, 35-40 hours/week. There will be a three and six month review and room for growth.
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Bike Ambassador Lead search