WNYC is hiring an Editor with a strong digital background who has the experience, judgment and confidence to be the final eyes and ears on news content across all platforms.
The Editor will have proven editing skills and the capacity to make the news on digital platforms as engaging and urgent as it is on the radio. He or she will work with reporters, editors and producers to land and polish audio and text stories; publish to the web and social media; monitor news wires and competitive media; and make news assignments as needed. The Editor will work creatively and collaboratively with others in the WNYC Newsroom and on WNYC's digital team to refine the forms in which our content is broadcast and published as news platforms emerge and evolve.
This position involves afternoon and evening work, and occasional weekend duty. At a minimum, a candidate will have five years experience as a professional journalist, including at least two years editing experience in a newspaper, broadcast or digital newsroom. Obsessiveness about accuracy and fairness is a job requirement. Competence in a language besides English is a plus, as is a visual sensibility.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Editing audio and text on deadline.
- Web production and publishing.
- Monitoring news wires and competition.
- Making news assignments
- Active engagement with social media as an editorial tool.
- Working with the enterprise editor, data news team and digital staff on advancing multimedia presentation of WNYC reporting.
- Minimum of five years professional journalism experience
- Minimum of two years editing experience in a newspaper, broadcast or digital newsroom.
- Self-starter with proven ability to meet deadlines and pay close attention to detail and fact-checking
- Impeccable journalistic integrity and editorial judgment
- Ability to manage several projects concurrently
All positions at NYPR require:
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
- The intellectual and emotional depth, maturity, self-confidence and interpersonal skills to work effectively with the senior leadership team, colleagues, staff and external partners and provide motivation at all levels of an organization
- Excellent communication skills—both oral and written—with an impressive reputation for building and maintaining relationships with people at all levels of an organization, across a diverse range of cultural, generational, ethnic, racial, educational and social backgrounds
- Use of a computer, telephone and other office and/or broadcast equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively through a variety of methods including but not limited to; email, internet based applications for internal and external communications
- Affinity for New York Public Radio; WNYC and/or WQXR content and mission a plus
- Compliance with WNYC/WQXR policies and guidelines
- Ability to work extended hours as needed
New York Public Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer and invites and encourages qualified applicants from all walks of life.
Click on the link to see a more detailed position specification and to Apply: www.wnyc.org/careers
Please submit cover letter with salary requirements and resume. New York Public Radio must receive all information requested in order to consider your candidacy.
New York Public Radio - 10 months ago