Job Overview: Responsible for providing quality guest service as it pertains to: Checking in/out of hotel guests; PBX operations to include mail/message service; reservations services; and concierge services in a gracious manner. Responsible for all final revenue and charge postings including the discovery and correction of front office accounting errors (procedural controls), balancing the day’s transactions and performing the Night Audit (Balance all income for each department as well as payments received against vouchers, tape totals, and property management system totals). Additionally, the Night Auditor is responsible for creating accounting and managerial reports. The Night Auditor also prepares for the next day’s business activities. Demands accuracy with the daily accounting procedures.
Reports To: Front Office Manager
Qualifications/Skills: Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and /or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee will possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Ability to satisfactorily communicate in English (speak, read, write) with guests, co-workers and management to their understanding.
Ability to perform assigned duties with attention to detail, speed, accuracy, follow-through, courtesy, cooperativeness and work with a minimum of supervision.
Ability to accurately compute and manipulate mathematical calculations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact, and diplomacy to defuse anger.
Ability to work well under pressure of check-in/check-out of guests and handle multiple tasks at once.
Previous hotel experience.
High school graduate.
Punctuality and regular and reliable attendance.
Interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with co-workers and the public
Previous guest relations training.
Previous experience with automated property management system.
Essential Physical Abilities:
Essential Job Functions:
- Endure various physical movements throughout the work areas, such as reaching, bending and stooping.
- Remain in stationary position for a maximum eight hours (excluding meal and rest breaks) throughout work shift.
- Ability to grasp, bend, and stoop; push or pull heavy loads weighing up to 75 lbs.; and lift and/or carry or otherwise move packages, boxes, and luggage.
Secondary Job Functions:
- Check-in and check-out hotel guests in a confident, professional, and friendly manner.
- Initiate call back after check-in to ensure guest is satisfied with accommodations as well as offer any assistance.
- Anticipate guests’ needs, respond promptly and acknowledge all guests, however busy and whatever time of day or night.
- Provide gracious and efficient telephone service as it relates to general PBX services. Calls should be answered promptly and knowledgeably, always ensuring complete and accurate information.
- Provide Concierge service - fluent knowledge of local restaurants, special events, city attractions, and guest amenities.
- Maintain complete knowledge at all times of:
- All hotel features/services, hours of operation.
- All room types, numbers, layout, décor, appointments and location.
- All room rates, special packages and promotions.
- Daily house count and expected arrivals/departures.
- Room availability status for any given day.
- Scheduled daily group activities.
- Complete all items as listed on shift checklists.
- Issue guest safety deposit boxes as requested.
- Take guest reservations in a manner consistent with ResPlus principles.
- Ensure proper guest credit procedures are handled according to hotel’s credit policy.
- Review all prior shift work, including reservation arrivals.
- Complete final manual postings for all miscellaneous income departments.
- Balance all miscellaneous income departments against vouchers, tape totals, and property management system totals.
- Complete a shift deposit.
- Complete a Room Rate Exceptions report to determine any and all inappropriate rates.
- Initiate Night Audit process in the Property Management system.
- Prepare all next day guest reservations arrivals Check in slips.
- Prepare all management reports for hotel management.
- Prepare appropriate housekeeping reports for next business day.
- Advise guest of any messages, mail, faxes, etc. received for them.
- Communicate service and amenities of the hotel to guests.
- Receive, record and relay messages accurately, completely and legibly.
- Offer detailed information on the voice mail system to callers and guests wishing to leave messages.
- Accept and record wake-up call requests.
- Communicate VIP arrivals to designated personnel for escort and delivery of amenities.
- Communicate pertinent guest information to designated departments/personnel (i.e., special requests, amenity deliver).
- Meet with incoming Front Desk Host to review business status, log book, and follow-up items.
- Knowledgeable of hotel fire, emergency and safety procedures.
- Keep the front desk as well as lobby areas clean and well organized.
- Develop relationships with local service providers
- Legibly document maintenance needs and submit to Manager.