Job Description: Night Custodian
At KIPP Austin we believe the facilities are an integral part of our students’ well-being. We teach students that a clean, well-kept, safe environment is important to their health and effective learning success. The ideal candidate will embrace this approach along with the KIPP “Work hard. Be nice.” work ethic.
The Night Custodian will work with a crew of 8-12 to support the entire KIPP Austin campus which consists of five schools and a central kitchen/cafeteria serving nearly 1,500 students.
Reports to: Facilities Manager
Schedule: 25 hours/week
5:30 – 10:30 p.m. Monday - Friday
- Be responsible for cleaning of assigned school space, which may include cafeteria, classrooms, athletic areas, etc. as scheduled by the supervisor.
- Keep restrooms clean and well supplied.
- Provide floor care including sweeping, mopping, spray buffing, burnishing, scrubbing, applying floor finish, etc.
- Provide carpet care including vacuuming, spot removal.
- Provide clean-up after student accidents that could include bio-hazardous waste, such as vomit, urine, or feces.
- Keeping housekeeping closets clean and supplied with necessary materials. Keep closets closed and locked when not in use.
- Know the opening and closing procedures of each campus.
- Know how to safely operate all housekeeping equipment used in the building.
- Replace light bulbs as needed.
- Attend and participate in schedule staff meetings
- Understand and adheres to the guidelines of KIPP Austin
- Participate in team activities and special projects as scheduled by the supervisor or when help is needed due to absences.
- Report all repair and maintenance needs to Facilities Manager
- Other duties as assigned
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
- At least one year of housekeeping or custodial experience, preferably in a school environment.
- Ability to be flexible and function in a growing and continually changing workplace.
- Punctuality and good attendance required
- Ability to get along with co-workers, children, teachers, parents and administrators.
- Multi-faceted, multi-skilled, resourceful, and willing to do whatever it takes to feed healthy food to our students.
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit, is proactive and flexible, and is willing and able to play different roles in the kitchen in order to meet the varied and constant needs of the students at KIPP Austin.
- Model positive and healthy character traits and habits, such as being organized, consistent and understanding.
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to the KIPP Austin mission and KIPP Austin community.
- Manual and physical dexterity, including the ability to handle and maneuver machines
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. and receive assistance for any items greater than 50 lbs.
- Ability to safely climb a 10 foot step ladder
- Ability to stand for long periods of time on hard surfaces (concrete or tile) for at least 80-100% of the scheduled work day
- Ability to bend, stoop, squat, reach, push, pull, and walk frequently and with ease
- May require walking on uneven or wet surfaces
- Must be able to use cleaning chemicals and cleaning agents necessary to perform the essential functions of the job
KIPP Austin - 13 months ago