The qualified candidate will possess the following:
1. High School graduate
2. Current enrollment in a Nursing Program of an accredited school of Registered Professional
3. Current American Heart Association BCLS certification, recertified annually.
4. Completion on competency checklist with first 90 days of employment.
1. Currently enrolled as a nursing student and has successfully completed the first quarter or semester of nursing school.
2. Must provide verification of Competency Skills Checklist from School of Nursing in order to perform specific skills during employment.
C. Interpersonal requirements
1. Possesses strong verbal and written communication skills, has a commitment to customer service.
2. Communicates effectively with all applicable customers and age groups.
3. Demonstrates the ability to follow instructions in a positive manner. Ask questions and seeks clarification appropriately.
The Nurse Technician performs duties necessary to provide the best in patient care, but not to the extent requiring service and judgement of a licensed nurse. Maintains a clean, safe and quite environment in support to patient comfort and contentment. Provides supportive care to patients in all medical-surgical units with adequate supervision and cross training. The Senior Nurse Technician works cooperatively with the medical staff and other hospital employees who support the care of adult and geriatric patients.
Specific responsibilities include:
1. Transfer patients using proper techniques and body mechanics.
2. Assists in admission and transfer process by preparing the patient room. Orients patient and significant other to environment. Gathers patient's belongings for transfer or discharge.
3. Changes bed linens on unoccupied beds. Assist licensed nurse in changing linens on occupied beds.
4. Performs vital signs (temperature, pulse rate, respiratory rate, and blood pressure). Accurately charts on graphics and reports any abnormal results to licensed nurse.
5. Assist patients with daily hygiene care.
6. Assist patients with menu selection and changes, sets up trays and monitor for correctness, assists with feeding and collects trays.
7. Reports pertinent data to members of health care team.
8. Implements patient care as directed by the licensed nurse.
9. Measures, calculate, and record patient's intake and output.
10. Passes nourishment, water, ice, etc.
11. Performs other duties as assigned (as appropriate for training and competency level).
12. Insertion of a straight catheter for masuring urinary residual.
13. Insertion of Foley catheter per sterile technique.
14. Discontinuation of Foley catheter.
15. Discontinuation of IV/INT.
16. Changing of simple surgical dressings.
Indirect Patient Care Duties:
1. Keeps patients rooms neat and orderly.
2. Transports specimens if stat.
3. Replenishes supplies in patient rooms.
4. Stocks, cleans and maintains wheelchairs and stretchers.
5. Notifies RN of need for equipment/furniture repair, etc.
6. Sets up room for new patients prior to arrival.
Information Management Duties:
1. Complete nursing documentation legibly and accurately according to current standards/policies. Documentation forms include: (as appropriate for tech)
* Admission Assessment form
*Daily assessment flowsheet
1. Demonstrates ability to perform identification procedure according to current policy.
2. Adheres to principles of infection control in performing direct patient care.
1. Participates in performance improvement activities on the unit.
1. Obtains at least 12 hours of continuing education, of which 50% is unit specific.
2. Provides age appropriate care, as evidenced by completion of age specific competency checklists.
3. Demonstrates competency in technical skills by completion of unit and annual skills checklist.
4. Meet all organizational/departmental mandatory inservice requirements for given period of review.