The purpose of this position is to direct the day-to-day operation of the Rock Haven Nursing Home in accordance with Federal, State, County and local standards, guidelines, and regulations governing Skilled Nursing Long Term Care Facility to ensure that the highest degree of quality care is provided to residents at all time.
-Organize, direct and coordinate the clinical programs and administrative services with in Rock Haven.
-Plan, develop, implement and evaluate clinical systems for efficient and effective management of the facility.
-Act as chief spokesperson for Rock Haven in matters involving state and other public officials.
-Collaborate with contracted physicians and psychiatric staff to maintain a satisfactory medical and psychosocial care program for residents.
-Initate and participate in long-range program/strategic clinical planning, including needs analysis, program development, and improvement. Present plan(s) to appropriate oversight committee.
-Review operations and procedures, coordinate improvements to achieve more economical operations, and where possible to achieve better quality programs.
-Meet and consult with department supervisors on a regular basis concerning the operations of their department to assist in eliminating/correcting problem areas and/or improvement of services.
-Coordinate state survey process, acting as point of contact for surveyors; write plans of correction if necessary. Notify appropriate County personnel of anticipated fines or forfeitures.
-Review and evaluate existing policies and procedures and direct changes/updates where indicated.
-Integrate policies and procedures of Rock County and Federal and State regulatory requirements into facility operation.
-Works with nursing, social services, and medical staff to maintain a professional treatment care program for residents.
-Interprets and transmits policies of the governing committee and county administration to the medical staff and personnel and ensures compliance.
Supervision and Personnel Management
-Provide general direction and supervision to management level staff, as well as providing direction to all Rock Haven staff as situations warrant. Conduct periodic all staff meetings.
-Set performance standards for all staff under direct supervision, and hold staff accountable to established standards.
-Approve direct report staff vacations and planned absences while maintaining accepted coverage in all clinical and support areas.
-Counsel workers not meeting performance standards and expectations. Devise a plan for corrective action and arrive at a mutual understanding with the staff person.
-Access performance by staff by writing and administering annual evaluations and update position descriptions on a regular basis.
-Participate in the recruitment process by composing interview questions and serving on interview panels, evaluation and ranking interview performance and completing reference checks, or delegate as necessary.
-Ensure employee discipline is administered fairly, consistently and without discrimination.
-Interpret policies and procedures, respond to grievances and participate in the union meet and confer process.
Budget Development and Fiscal Monitoring
-Work department/facility fiscal staff to write program narratives and construct the annual budget, including necessary capital improvement plans for the facility.
-Collaborate with facility department supervisors to determine facility budget and capital priorities.
-Monitor facility budget compliance via monthly projection reports provided by facility fiscal staff to ensure fiscal targets are met.
-Address budget issues with department supervisors and/or contracted service providers and direct corrective action(s) as necessary.
-Prepare periodic budget reports for the Health Services Committee and County Administrator as directed on facility operational and financial conditions.
-Manage contracts for a variety of services, including: facility linen/personal laundry; physician, psychiatric, psychology and dental services; therapies.
-Assess and evaluate contracted provider services on a regular basis for performance and cost control purposes.
-Attend regular management and other meetings and serve on/chair facility committees as necessary.
-Cooperate and collaborate with other health care, social service, and affiliated professional organizations. Attend conferences and meetings as required to keep facility abreast of new treatment philosophies, survey issues, etc.
-Perform other duties as assigned.
Success Factors (KSA's):
• Knowledge of federal, state and county statutes and regulations pertaining to the operation of a nursing home.
• Knowledge of administration of a large institution operated to provide rehabilitation and long term skilled nursing care.
• Knowledge of facility operation, administration, standards and regulations of institutional operations.
• Knowledge of Medicaid/Medicare admission criteria and reimbursement parameters.
• Comprehensive knowledge of the State survey process and the ability to write corrective plans of action.
• Ability to plan, organize, staff, direct and coordinate all administrative features of a nursing home.
• Ability to monitor budget lines and ensure that budget targets are met (including the development of alternative plans).
• Ability to represent the Nursing Home at official and public functions.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective relations with County officials, associates, elected bodies, employees, federal and state representatives and the general public.
• Ability to maintain records and prepare clear concise reports.
• Ability to prepare department program plans and reports and to develop monitoring and evaluation systems for these plans.
• Ability to effectively analyze and solve problems.
• Ability to work with labor unions.
• Be familiar with the principles of consensus team building, conflict resolution, leading the change process and creating facility vision.
Job Requirements, Education, Training & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in nursing, nursing home/hospital administration, business administration or related field.
-Five years of varied professional experience in nursing home administration or long term care facility.
-Three years of supervisory experience for a major functional area.
- Valid Driver's license - with no restrictions
- Personal, insured vehicle- pursuant to Wisconsin law
-Must be licensed as a Nursing Home Administrator under Chapters 456.01 and 50.04(2) of Wisconsin Statutes. License must be free of any departmental actions.
Essential Job Functions (physical elements, equipment and working conditions):
-Ability to stand, walk, and sit for periods of time
-Ability to be on call and respond to emergency situations that may be required of the nursing home.
-Ability to use a computer and computer keyboard.
-Ability to exert 10-20 pounds of force occasionally, or up to 5-10 pounds of force frequently or greater than negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
-Ability to work in a stress full environment.
-Works in well-lighted/ventilated office areas, as well as throughout the facility and its premises.
-Will be subject to frequent interruptions.
-Will be involved with residents, family members, visitors, government agencies, etc., under varying conditions/circumstances.
-Will be subject to potentially hostile and emotionally upset residents, family members, personnel, visitors, etc.
-Must be willing to work beyond normal working hours and on weekends and holidays when necessary.
-Will be involved in community/civic health groups and projects.
-Must attend and participate in continuing educational programs designed to stay abreast of changes in the profession.
-May be subject to falls, burns, odors, etc., throughout the work day.
-May be exposed to infectious waste, diseases, conditions, etc.
Rock County, WI - 18 months ago