Kern Community College District
The successful applicant will be expected to provide instruction in a full range of Registered and/or Vocational Nursing courses, provide instruction as a member of the nursing team to students in classroom and clinical laboratory areas, participate in the development and evaluation of curriculum and in the development of instructional material, utilize a variety of teaching methods that will promote the attainment of desirable goals by each student, establish effective working relationships with personnel from service agencies, assist in the liaison between several different community healthcare agencies and the college, assist in planning activities for the evaluation of students in both the classroom and laboratory experiences, participate in faculty and agency meetings and student activities, and maintain office hours.
The assignment will be made based on the successful candidate’s experience, background, and institutional need.
This assignment may include teaching at other campus sites, day or evening classes, weekend classes, large classes, distance learning, and using multiple teaching methodologies.
Other duties include: participation in student recruitment and course articulation for the Nursing/Allied Health department; maintaining subject matter currency; developing and revising curriculum; using computer and multimedia technology; collegial participation in departmental, college, and discipline-specific professional activities.
Medical, dental, and employee assistance plans are provided for the employee and dependents. The District also provides life insurance plans for the employee, as well as an 8.25% contribution to the State Teacher’s Retirement plan. Additional types of insurance may be purchased with pre-tax dollars through an IRS 125 flexible benefit program.
Knowledge and Abilities
• Experience teaching nursing at a community college.
• Clinical expertise with certifications.
• Ability to communicate effectively with students, colleagues, and others.
• Knowledge of personal computers and willingness to use computers as teaching tools.
• Willingness to use and develop computer-assisted and/or multimedia instructional materials.
• Willingness to work with students having a wide range of skills, motivation, and academic or vocational goals.
• Knowledge of and commitment to the California community college mission.
Education and Experience
Must meet the following qualifications set by the Board of Registered Nursing and the Bureau of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians:
• A valid, active license as a California Registered Nurse;
• Have obtained from an accredited college a Master’s degree in nursing; OR
• Have obtained from an accredited college a Baccalaureate degree in nursing AND a Master’s degree, which shall include course work in nursing, education, or administration; OR
• Have obtained from an accredited college a Baccalaureate degree in nursing AND enrollment in an accredited college for a Master’s degree which shall include course work in nursing, education, or administration, with a scheduled completion date before or during the 2014-2015 academic year.
• At least two year’s continuous, full-time experience in direct patient care practice as a Registered Nurse within the last 5 years or equivalent experience, as determined by the Board of Registered Nursing. Note: As a condition of employment, if the applicant does not meet the patient care practice requirement, he/she must be willing to undertake a mutually agreed upon remediation plan.
• Shall have or be willing to complete (within 6 months of hire) a course in teaching offered by an accredited school;
• Current American Heart Association Healthcare Provider Card;
• Demonstrate sensitivity to students with diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds and students with disabilities;
• Successful completion of a drug/alcohol screening before a final job offer can be made;
• Successful approval by the Board of Registered Nursing and Bureau of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians.
Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions (Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an evaluation service.
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Posting Date: 01/14/2013
Open Until Filled: Yes
Position Type: Contract Academic
Work Week: This is a ten-month (175-day) faculty position eligible for tenure after
the fourth year of successful employment.
Minimum Salary: $47,693.88 per year
Maximum Salary: $76,928.28 per year
College/Site: Porterville College
Location: PC-Main Campus
Requested Start Date: 08/22/2013
First Review of Applications:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled, but those received by Monday, February 4, 2013, 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time) are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
• Completed Online Application for Employment form
• Current resume
• Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
• Statement of personal philosophy of teaching
• Copies of legible transcripts
• Copies of current RN License and American Heart Association BLS Healthcare Provider Card
• List of six (6) professional references – Listed on application form
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
To apply, visit http://careers.kccd.edu/postings/3301
BlacksinHigherEd.com - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard