Nutritional Services - Dietary Aides and Cooks
SUMMARY OF POSITIONS: Provides assistance in all nutrition services functions as directed/instructed by the Nutrition Services Manager or designee in accordance with the facility’s standards and procedures, federal state and local standards, guidelines and regulations. Assists in providing the resident with nourishing, attractive, well balanced meals. Follows all Extendicare policies and procedures.
The responsibilities of this position involve significant physical activities including standing, lifting ( up to 60 pounds unassisted), bending, stooping, pushing, pulling and twisting. The tasks on this position description marked with an asterisk ( *) are those that regularly require these physical activities. All employees of nursing homes may be required to provide lifting and transfer assistance to residents. Lifting and/or transferring some residents will require use of a lifting device and /or assistance of other staff.
1. *Prepares meals, snacks and nourishments, in accordance with sanitary regulations, as well as Extendicare standards and procedures.
2. Makes only authorized substitutions to menus, snacks or nourishments .
3. *Serves meals that are palatable, appetizing in appearance, garnished and at proper temperature, on a timely basis.
4. *Serves food in accordance with established portion control procedures, adhering to extended menus for specific diets.
5. *Serves food from steam table and/or transports food delivery carts to the resident areas.
6. Honors resident/patient food likes/dislikes per diet card.
7. *Ensures that food supplies for the next day’s production are readily available. Completes pre-preparations as required.
8. *Assists in maintaining all work/storage areas in a clean and properly arranged manner at all times. Moves stock and equipment as necessary to complete daily cleaning duties as assigned. Signs off cleaning schedule.
· Knows and follows facility rules.
· Demonstrates proper use of equipment. Reports equipment needs or repairs.
· Follows facility-smoking policies.
· Reports any incidents or accidents of residents, staff or visitors to the appropriate facility personnel.
· Performs duties, which may include transportation of residents, as assigned in Facility Disaster Plan.
· Uses required protective equipment.
· Reports all hazardous conditions/equipment to Supervisor
*Sweeps and mops floors as directed.
*Carries out garbage.
*Keeps work areas clean, dry and free of hazards.
*Performs ware-washing duties as assigned.
*Follows all Nutrition Service’s standards and procedures.
*Follows timed activity schedule.
*Complies with laws and regulations applicable to position and acts in accordance with Extendicare’s Corporate Compliance Program.
*Attends and participates in inservice classes, performance improvement ( "PI") committees, and other meetings as assigned.
*Treats all residents, visitors, and staff with courtesy.
*Assists in orientation and training of employees as assigned.
*Performs physical activities including standing, lifting ( up to 60 pounds unassisted), bending, stooping, pushing, pulling and twisting.
*Assists cook in preparing meals.
*Assists in food preparation for special meals, parties, as directed.
*Participates and assists in departmental studies and projects as directed.
*Works with the facility’s dietitian to implement recommended changes.
*Performs other duties as assigned by facility management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
Ability to read, write, speak, and understand English.
Ability to withstand sudden temperature changes from heat of the kitchen to the cold of the freezers.
Ability to safely transport hot pans from range or ovens to the steam table and ability to maneuver in the kitchen and walk-in freezer and cooler.
Ability to identify chemicals, and properly use and dilute them.
Has education or experience sufficient to meet position requirements.
Able to relate positively, effectively, and appropriately with residents/patients, families, community members, volunteers and other facility staff. Possess special interest in, and a positive attitude about, working with long-term care residents/patients and the elderly.
Meets all health requirements, as imposed by law.