Under close to general supervision, incumbents in this classification are full-time students who provide routine clerical and administrative support for an assigned area which may include more than one of the following: filing, data entry, routine typing/word processing, copying, screening calls and visitors, handling mail, courier services, maintaining records and sorting/batching documents.
NOTE: Only students from local public institutions will be considered for this position.
Work includes but is not limited to the following: (Note: While in general all functions/duties are essential, individual positions within this class may not require all.) This list is not intendedto be complete or exhaustive.
1) Performs routine clerical office support functions related to the activities and operations of an assigned area, which may include copying, maintaining office supplies, and scheduling the use of facilities and meeting rooms.
2) Uses a personal computer for data input, verification, and retrieval of information; may generate routine reports; prepares a variety of materials, memos, and other correspondence.
3) Answers telephones, takes messages, and/or refers callers to appropriate sources; may greet and direct visitors.
4) Receives and processes documents for filing; files correspondence, records, and other; retrieves and distributes same as requested.
5) Opens, sorts, and distributes interoffice mail and incoming mail.
6) Maintains records and prepares routine reports related to the assigned area.
7) Operates standard office support equipment such as copiers and high- speed mail openers/extractors. 8) Sorts, inserts, meters and opens mail; picks up interoffice mail.
[Knowledge of: ] Safe operation of office, mail, and copy equipment, such as high speed mail openers/extractors; basic business mathematics; basic office procedures and practices; proper English usage, grammar, punctuation, vocabulary and spelling; basic methods of alphabetic and numeric filing; operation of personal computers and the use of typically word processing and spreadsheet applications; and, appropriate SAP modules.
[Skill to: ] Learn the activities and operations of the assigned office area and follow office policies and procedures; perform routine technical and administrative office support work; answer telephones and greet visitors in a courteous and tactful manner; operate personal computers and use specified computer applications; sort and process mail accurately and efficiently; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; understand and follow oral and written instructions, and established rules and regulations; and, safely use a variety of business office equipment.
[Experience: ] Registration as a full-time student (minimum of 12 units) at a resident academic institution; must be a college student with relevant work experience in order to meet the necessary knowledge and skills.
- Full-time student (12 units or more for undergraduate students; 8 units or more of graduate-level courses for graduate students).
- Valid driver’s license and no more than two moving vehicle violations in the last two years.
- No relatives employed by SMUD.
- Will be required to take a physical examination, including a drug//alcohol screen.
Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel; attention to detail and commitment to regular and punctual attendance. Availablitiy most afternoons between 1:00PM and 4:00PM.
Sacramento Municipal Utility District - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard -