The Operations Manager is responsible for overseeing the day to day operations of the animal facilities. This person will be expected to maintain the facilities according to policies, procedures and standards; and in general, ensures compliance with federal and state guidelines and regulations.
This person works with Assistant Director, Animal Facilities Operations as well as with the research staff members to insure that the care and use of lab animal is conducted following established procedures. They are responsible for and maintain the appropriate animal care records, facilities operations, animal care/husbandry operations and technical guidance of animal care staff. This person will work in collaboration with the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) to uphold institution-wide regulations and standards of care and will oversee the daily operation of the facility in compliance with federal and state policies, AAALAC and institutional guidelines and objectives.
The Operations Manager will contribute to the University’s Laboratory Animal Science core in major ways including:
1) Mentoring and managing staff with the goal of insuring they are technically competent and developing into superior communicators and personnel supervisors.
2) Actively participating in training of LACF and research staff and in compliance monitoring.
Other duties include;
The Operations Manager oversees the on-the-floor implementation of policies and procedures to insure that the animal husbandry/care provided to the research animal models at Boston University is consistent with BUASC policies, IACUC policies and institutional guidelines. The Operations Manager will provide training and guidance on animal husbandry/care, animal handling, equipment operations, facility operations related to the handling and use of animals in research.
- Supervision and training of Animal Care staff.
The Operations Manager will work in cooperation with Director, Assistant Director Animal Facility Operations, Veterinarians, and Office of Research Compliance to monitor, achieve and maintain compliance with requirements of regulatory and accreditation agencies.
- Compliance with Regulatory Standards and Accreditation Guidelines.
- Ensures appropriate staffing, resources, equipment and materials to meet daily needs of each of the facility locations
- Executes performance evaluations by determining the competency and performance of staff
- Interviews and recommends select care staff candidates.
- Support and coordination with Veterinary Services in support of animal health, technical services and researcher assistance.
- Support and coordination with Manager of Finances in fiscal management of animal care functions.
- Communicates regularly with investigators to provide quality of services, health status of animals, space allocation and adherence to govt. policies and procedures.
Must have a Bachelor’s Degree and 5-8 years of management experience in a lab research facility.
Boston University - 2 years ago