CenturyLink is the third largest telecommunications company in the United States. The company provides broadband, voice and wireless services to consumers and businesses across the country and advanced entertainment services under the CenturyLink™ Prism™ TV and DIRECTV brands. In addition, the company provides data, voice and managed services to business, government and wholesale customers in local, national and select international markets through its high-quality advanced fiber optic network and multiple data centers. CenturyLink also is recognized as a leader in the network services market by key technology industry analyst firms, and is a global leader in cloud infrastructure and hosted IT solutions for enterprises through Savvis, a CenturyLink company. CenturyLink’s customers range from Fortune 500 companies in some of the country’s largest cities to families living in rural America. Headquartered in Monroe, LA., CenturyLink is a S&P500 company and is included among the Fortune 500 list of America’s largest corporations. For more information, visit www.centurylink.com.
The Operations Tech II provides proactive and reactive network support, surveillance and restoration of service affecting or potentially affecting network events and issues. The technician also provides technical assistance to field maintenance personnel, trouble tracking, coordination, notification, escalation, and documentation to resolve events and concerns efficiently while minimizing customer impact.
Special projects and other duties as assigned
- Handle internal/external customer contact via phone, Remedy tickets or email and escalate further any customer-related issues to the appropriate group or person as necessary.
- Test communication services and related peripheral equipment to determine cause and location of service malfunctions to include proactive testing and analysis of LAN/WAN and data circuits.
- Assist supervisors with providing initial training for new employees. May provide technical information or direction for less experience employees as assigned.
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of network design to facilitate the troubleshooting processes for Ethernet and other Data Services.
- Utilize remote access via CLI and/or EMS systems to verify, restore, or change configurations for customer data services such as Ethernet, Frame Relay, ATM, MPLS, and Dedicated Internet Access.
- Enter, update, clear, close and cancel Remedy records using appropriate company procedures. Utilize ancillary systems to include Access Care, TRACS, Remedy, MetaSolv, etc. to identify customer accounts.
- Perform tests on customer's circuits and use test results to determine appropriate routing or clearing of occurrences as warranted.
- Track major service outages and other service affecting activities and update customers as needed.
- Utilize network troubleshooting procedures including ping, trace route, speed test, etc. to respond to customer problems or questions.
- Associate’s degree in Information Technology, Communications Networking and/or Electronics or related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience in telephone network equipment maintenance or support or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience required in specific wireline network equipment maintenance.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills required.
- Willingness to attend vendor-specific data product training required.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Communications Networking or related field.
- Cisco CCNA or ALU certification.
- Experience or training in data network testing and troubleshooting.
- Working knowledge of advanced PC skills and high speed Internet.
- Experience monitoring the status of system outages and keeping management informed of any changes.
- Vendor certifications related to Data/Ethernet equipment and/or networks.
- Experience in MARTENS, TRACS, Remedy, MetaSolv , CIRAS and Ensemble systems.
- Experience in IP addressing.
- Experience with SonicWall firewalls and Cisco Routers and Switches.
- Experience with ATM, Frame Relay and Ethernet circuits and protocols.
- Experience with use of Microsoft Office Excel & Word.
CenturyLink is an industry-leading provider of communications, high speed Internet and entertainment services from coast to coast. Our combination of business and residential service solutions – including home and wireless voice solutions and digital television – provide innovative solutions to our customers. CenturyLink is proud to be a participant in the U.S. General Services Administration Networx program, the largest communications services contract in the world. CenturyLink offers you the opportunity to develop and cultivate your career as we lead the communications industry into the future.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
CenturyLink - 13 months ago
CenturyLink is the third largest telecommunications company in the United States and is recognized as a leader in the network services...