CenturyLink is the third largest telecommunications company in the United States. The company provides broadband, voice and wireless services to consumers and businesses across the country and advanced entertainment services under the CenturyLink™ Prism™ TV and DIRECTV brands. In addition, the company provides data, voice and managed services to business, government and wholesale customers in local, national and select international markets through its high-quality advanced fiber optic network and multiple data centers. CenturyLink also is recognized as a leader in the network services market by key technology industry analyst firms, and is a global leader in cloud infrastructure and hosted IT solutions for enterprises through Savvis, a CenturyLink company. CenturyLink’s customers range from Fortune 500 companies in some of the country’s largest cities to families living in rural America. Headquartered in Monroe, LA., CenturyLink is a S&P500 company and is included among the Fortune 500 list of America’s largest corporations. For more information, visit www.centurylink.com.
View our Link below to learn more about the Technician Role at CenturyLink !
Change Management/FMC - Senior Operations Technician:
This job is in a Network Operations Center environment, Primary Responsibilities: (Change Management)
- Effectively respond both verbally and in writing to customer and management inquiries related to maintenance answering detailed and complex questions pertaining to maintenance.
- Notifies customers of planned/demand maintenance on various products often working as an advocate for customer interests in working to satisfy customers needs for information and additional lead time.
- Reviews maintenance and Method’s of Procedure (MOP) for first level technical review and ensures maintenance is reviewed by subject matter experts as needed, documentation matches the maintenance and that fundamental technical and safety requirements are met. Acts as the control point to ensure that required internal organizations are involved and tickets contain the most updated information and documentation.
- Provides second level advice and technical review of Change Management activities with a strong understanding of technology types such as Fiber, Power, Transport, IP and assist other technicians in identifying and working through conflicts/risks in relation to more than one planned activity on a segment at one time as well as customer escalations. Using a technical grasp of maintenance, assesses risks and conflicts on the network posed by maintenance, engages and negotiates risks and conflicts with originators to mitigate or eliminate the risk or conflict to the network.
- Provides a detailed review of all correspondence directed to Centurylink Change Management on matters of maintenance. Responding effectively to address or engage the correct process or personnel. Provides advice on assessment of complex situations involving correct assignment of activity levels to maintenance per the OPS-103 (Standards) by utilizing advanced understanding of process and maintenance involved.
- Engages in research to obtain correct end user for internal circuits and external customers through reviewing CORE notes, circuit CLRs and tracing circuit paths from router to router.
- Using strong technical grasp of network, reviews maintenance outside of process to ensure that all maintenance submitted complies with process; driving network reliability and safety. Researches and engages users to ensure compliance with process.
- Produces a daily report and analysis of maintenance activities, network risks/conflicts to a wide audience.
- Processes Site Access and Tech assist requests via WDS.
Secondary Responsibilities: (Fiber Maintenance Center)
· This position’s responsibilities may include assisting the Fiber Maintenance Center. The primary responsibilities of the Fiber Maintenance Center is to be the overall coordinator of all fiber optic cable activities; whether planned (PFA - Planned fiber activity) or unplanned, in the Centurylink / QCC National network.
· Produces detailed Methods of Procedures used as the actual step by step procedure for coordinating and performing PFA’s. This includes interfacing with multiple groups (Field Operations, Engineering, Fiber providers) to obtain information in addition to researching affected systems to produce and obtain circuit and system information.
· During the planned fiber events, coordinating the PFA includes guiding Field Operations personnel and assisting them when needed as well as communicating the activity as necessary to customers. Including, multitasking through coordination of the numerous PFA’s occurring within one window.
· Coordinates and directs the physical restoration during disasters as well as any other cable failure, whether manmade or environmental.
Basic Job Qualifications :
· Applicant needs to be very flexible with schedule and be willing to work overtime to cover coworkers’ shifts whenever needed during any shift.
· Participate in on-call rotation.
· One plus year applicable work experience.
· Requires strong communication both written and verbal. Working in a customer focused environment fielding customer calls and emails. Including a strong customer service experience specifically over the phone.
· Experience in working on a computer in Windows based systems and Microsoft Outlook, basic knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access.
· Experience in a fast paced, multi tasking environment with the ability t o organize and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
· Recent experience working with a SONET and DWDM network.
· Ability to work both independently with little supervision and in a collaborative team environment problem solving, coordinating maintenance activity.
· Demonstrates high personal work standards and ethics.
· Good negotiating and persuasive skills and strong people skills.
· Ability to solve complex challenges, independently analyze information, and make recommendations based on analysis.
· Ability to identify system gaps and issues and make informed recommendations on improvements.
· Analyze, assess, troubleshoot applications (new and existing) and provide assessment for improvements increasing usability and customer satisfaction.
PREFERRED Job Qualifications:
· Preferred 4 years + of Change Management or similar experience.
· Experience with Fiber optic cable maintenance.
· Demonstrated history of creating step-by-step instructions for fiber maintenance.
· Undergraduate degree/Associates Degree or equivalent experience in a related field. Prefer Associate degree in Engineering, Electronics, Software, or Networks; or a related technical or vocational education or equivalent experience is desired, but not mandatory. NOC experience is desired.
· Written skills to include demonstrated ability to create and modify process documents, work instruction documents and other documents that are distributed to a wide audience.
· Experience with any/all of the following: SONET, Fiber, IP, Power (AC/DC).
· Advanced knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access, MS PowerPoint
· Leadership - a bility to motivate others, use good teamwork skills, including development of interdepartmental relationships and the ability to make complex decisions.
· Provisioning and troubleshooting of DS3 through OC192 level circuit experience.
· SONET and SDH equipment maintenance knowledge/experience.
· DWDM equipment maintenance knowledge/experience.
· Fiber optics and protection switching schemes knowledge/experience.
· Ideal candidate would be competent with the following platforms/equipment: Nortel OC48 and OC192 ADM’s, Regens, MOR's and 1600G amps, Nortel Optera Metro 5200, Ciena Corestream/ULH and Metro, ONI, Cisco 15454, 15310, Lucent LambdaUnite, Fujitsu Flashwave 4500, Infinera, Tellabs 7100, DCCS: Tellabs, Alcatel, T::DAX
· Knowledgeable in WDS, NCMS, F&E, TBS, CORE, NMA, TIRKS, LIMS, WFA-NN, TIRKS jx, DR Transport, BIRD, NTM Remedy, CCDB, Qcentral, NMA tool, Atlas, Oasys
CenturyLink is an industry-leading provider of communications, high speed Internet and entertainment services from coast to coast. Our combination of business and residential service solutions – including home and wireless voice solutions and digital television – provide innovative solutions to our customers. CenturyLink is proud to be a participant in the U.S. General Services Administration Networx program, the largest communications services contract in the world. CenturyLink offers you the opportunity to develop and cultivate your career as we lead the communications industry into the future.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
Qwest Communications - 2 years ago