The occupational therapist will assess functional activity demands against the performance ability of the client and identify and address deficits to improve the client’s quality of life and rebuild or maintain the client’s independence.
The occupational therapist is responsible for implementation of standards of care for occupational therapy services and is expected to adhere to all conditions defined in the Service Agreement. All services are performed in accordance with physician orders and plan of care.
The occupational therapist will report to and be supervised by the agency’s Director of Nursing or RN supervisor.
1. Provide occupational therapy services to client according to a physician’s written orders. This may include, but is not limited to the following: Assess and evaluate therapeutic/rehabilitative/functional status; Develop a plan of care and treatment making sure plan of care is consistent with assessment; Participate in the development of the client’s total plan of treatment; Identify, develop or adapt work and/or daily activities that enhance the client’s quality of life; Assess the home environment especially as it relates to fall risk and interventions and home safety. This includes: a) Assist client to facilitate safety, security and increased independence through home modification and adaptation. b) Identify equipment needs; Develop or fabricate adaptive equipment to improve client function and independence; Instruct client and family or caregivers in the use and care of adaptive appliances.
2. Report client’s response to treatment or changes in condition to the Director of Nursing and physician.
3. As appropriate, coordinate interventions with other health care providers and live settings such as child care center, preschool, school, worksite, adult day care or residential setting.
4. Instruct other personnel and/or family members and caregivers on the intervention goals.
5. Participate in client case conferences.
6. Assist in identifying client and family/caregiver needs for other services and reports these needs to the Director of Nursing.
7. Prepare and submit clinical and progress summaries based on identified and attained goals. A copy of these documents will be submitted to the Director of Nursing at least weekly.
8. Participate in discharge planning, as appropriate.
9. Provide in-service education for agency personnel.
10. Supervise occupational therapy assistant(s), in accordance with organization policy and state regulations.
11. Assure compliance with all local, state and federal laws and regulations.
1. Graduated from an occupational therapy program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) or predecessor organizations.
2. Successfully completed a period of supervised fieldwork experience required by the recognized educational institution where the applicant met the academic requirement of the educational program for occupational therapists that is accredited by ACOTE or predecessor organizations.
3. Passed a nationally recognized examination for occupational therapists.
4. Licensed, certified, or registered to practice as an occupational therapist as required by state law in which practice occurs.
5. Compliant with continuing education, if required by state as a condition to maintain licensure, certification and/or registration.
6. Abide by the Occupational Therapy Code of Ethics (AOTA, 2005a).
7. Knowledgeable about and will deliver occupational therapy services in accordance with AOTA standards, policies, and guidelines and state, federal, and other regulatory and payer requirements relevant to practice and service delivery.
8. Two (2) years of appropriate experience as an occupational therapist.
9. Strong interpersonal skills.
10. Strong knowledge of occupational therapy principles, theory, methods and evidence based practice.
11. Excellent customer service skills and ability to deal tactfully with clients, and staff.
12. Treat clients, families and staff with courtesy and respect.
13. Adhere to HIPAA and maintain client confidentiality.
BrightStar Care - 8 months ago