Assist with processing of export shipments for an assigned base of accounts under the direct supervision of an Ocean Export Specialist IV or Supervisor, Ocean Export. Assist with duties related to document preparation and traffic coordination required to correctly process export shipments in a cost-efficient manner within Company standards.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Receive, review, and process export documentation for an assigned base of accounts. Process and follow Shipper’s Letter if Instructions accurately. Prepare and process Delivery Orders, Dock Receipts, Warehouse Work Orders, Ocean Bills of Lading, Insurance Certificates, Certificates of Origin, Consular Documents, Shipper’s Export Declarations, and Customs Invoices. Process documents through the XXXX system. Meet all Company and government deadlines for processing these documents.
- Prepare and/or send advance notification of shipments and documents to banks, shippers, consignees, destination offices, as required and within Company standards.
- Arrange, book, and confirm cargo space on vessels. Coordinate the ordering of cargo to port.
- Calculate ocean freight rates and marine insurance accurately.
- Close files and distribute documents in accordance with pertinent requirements and in compliance with export standards.
- Advise supervisor of any problems or irregularities discovered within assigned transactions.
- Provide excellent and timely customer service by informing clients of the status of their shipments under the direct supervision and advice of the Ocean Export Specialist IV or Supervisor, Ocean Export.
- Actively pursue a better understanding of export logistics process through self-study, as well as courses and seminars presented by the Company and other approved sources.
- Improve understanding and knowledge of the Company’s Ocean Export System, both its basic and advanced features. Receive certification of competency in these areas.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
These characteristics are normally acquired through completion of a high school education, plus two years of related higher education or international transportation industry experience, and a minimum of six months on-the-job training.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Written communication skill to compose routine letters and to edit and proof business correspondence and reports.
- Use the Company-standard software for word processing and spreadsheets, etc., as applicable, to generate more elaborate reports, charts, and graphs.
- Less than six months experience in all activities related to logistics and freight forwarding services, including arranging transport and delivery of shipments, and other related functions.
- The ability to analyze necessary moderately complex administrative details. These would include organizing and preparing documents, and assembling documents or reports containing data from several sources.
- Effective verbal communication skills and past customer service experience is required, since work requires extensive phone contact with carriers and other parties concerning the ocean export process.
- Basic creative problem solving and analytical skills
- Good judgment and initiative
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Good listener
- A team player
- Must work well under pressure as a self-starter, handling multiple tasks
- Internally motivated, self-starter with ability to plan, organize and establish priorities to meet goals and achieve results.
- High Integrity
- Completion of a high school education, plus two years of related higher education or international transportation industry experience, and a minimum of six months on-the-job training in the logistics industry
- This role does not require travel
Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking for up to 10% of the time.
The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain nor be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
UTi Worldwide - 10 months ago
UTi Worldwide Inc. is a holding company, through its subsidiaries, operates as an international, non-asset-based supply chain services and s...